Competition Notice - Common Services (Administrative) Assistant
The Consulate General of Canada in Boston is seeking to hire a dependable and motivated individual with a passion for client service and strong organizational skills to provide administrative and operational support to our team.
Position Title: Common Services Assistant (CSA)
Section: Common Services/Administration
Location: Consulate General of Canada, Boston, MA
Position Number: 424763
Starting Salary: $57,930 USD per annum, plus benefits
Posting Date: April 6, 2021
Closing Date: April 13, 2021
Employment Tenure: Indeterminate full-time. This competitive staffing process may also be used to create an eligibility list of qualified candidates for this position and similar positions with various tenures, including indeterminate, term and/or assignment/transfer at the Consulate General of Canada in Boston, which might arise in the twelve (12) months following the completion of this competition.
- Persons who meet all the essential qualifications and whose applications are received by the closing date.
- Employees of any Canadian mission in the United States. Note: employees currently at this level may apply by requesting a transfer. You will be part of the competition and will be assessed against the rated requirements. You must advise your current supervisor of your interest. Relocation fees will not be paid under any circumstance
- Spouses and dependents of Canada‐based staff at the Consulate General of Canada, Boston
All applicants must:
- Submit a resume and cover letter by the closing date. The cover letter must not exceed two pages and must:
- Demonstrate how you meet the essential qualifications for this position, including language, education and/or experience;
- Confirm residency in the United States and;
- Confirm independent work authorization in the United States and status in accordance with U.S. protocol directives for foreign missions (i.e. you must be a US Citizen, Legal Permanent Resident or A-1/A-2 visa-holder as required by the Department of State for employment in a foreign mission).
All communication relating to this process, including email correspondence may be used in the assessment of qualifications.
Summary of duties:
The Common Services Assistant (CSA) provides administrative support services in the following areas: finance, human resources, materiel management, procurement, contracting, property and facilities management. Duties include, but are not limited to:
- providing front-line client service (receptionist services, switchboard operation and upholding security access policy);
- financial support services (preparing expense claims and invoices for payment; tracking expenses via spreadsheet; receiving and recording revenues, etc.);
- HR support services (preparing documents for hiring competitions; preparing and processing new hire paperwork; reviewing and auditing HR requests in HR management system, etc.);
- maintaining office equipment and office supply stock, ordering supplies and equipment as needed;
- responding to service requests from clients, including property/facility requests and basic IT queries;
- managing the mission’s central filing system;
- other duties as required.
Hours of work:
Normal hours of work for this position are in accordance with the Locally Engaged Staff (LES) regulations of 37.5 hours per week.
Candidates will initially be screened against the Essential Qualifications relating to education, experience and language. Candidates must clearly demonstrate in their cover letter how they meet each of these essential qualifications:
- Fluency in English, written and spoken
- Proficiency in French, written and spoken (must be able to communicate with clients in French over the phone and by email)
- Associate’s degree from an accredited college OR completion of a certificate program for administrative assistants; OR an acceptable combination of relevant experience, education, and training related to the duties and specific areas of competence required by the position.
- At least two (2) years of experience providing administrative support services to a diverse team in a professional office environment.
- Experience preparing financial documents for payment and tracking budgets;
- Experience providing advice and guidance to clients in a front-line client service role.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Excel and Outlook.
Candidates who meet the Language, Education and Experience requirements will be assessed on the following qualifications. The assessment may be a written test, an interview, an in-basket exercise, a skills test, or any combination of these methods. The cover letter may be used to assess these requirements.
- Knowledge of general administrative principles, including, but not limited to, information management principles, office organizational procedures, generally accepted meeting, email & phone etiquette practices, etc.
- Knowledge of and proficiency in computer software and systems, including Microsoft Office Suite.
- Knowledge of budget management procedures.
- Communicate effectively in English and in French, both orally and in writing.
- Provide excellent client service.
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with both internal and external clients at all levels in an organization.
- Manage multiple competing demands, organize time, and work effectively to meet deadlines.
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Sound judgment
- Adaptable and flexible
- Confidentiality (ability to keep sensitive information on a need-to-know basis).
- Experience in using SAP
- Fluency in French (both oral and written)
- Degree or courses in the field of accounting or HR
Condition of employment (must be met):
- Ability to obtain/maintain the required security clearance for a Government of Canada Reliability Status;
- Independent work authorization in the U.S. and status in accordance with U.S. protocol directives for foreign missions (i.e. you must be a US Citizen, Legal Permanent Resident or A-1/A-2 visa-holder as required by the Department of State for employment in a foreign mission)
The staffing process will consist first of a review of all applications to screen in applicants who meet the essential qualifications. Please note that failure to meet any of the essential qualifications eliminates candidates from further consideration in the competition. Human Resources will only contact those applicants who meet these qualifications for an interview or other form(s) of assessment (a written test, an in-basket exercise, and/or a skills test) of the Rated Requirements for the position. All candidates are required to show proof of legal status to live and work in the US. Proof of education will be required (if being assessed along with work experience). Reference checks will also be carried out.
The Consulate General of Canada in Boston is an equal opportunity employer, actively looking to increase diversity in our office and we encourage applications from diverse segments of the community. The Consulate is committed to conducting inclusive, barrier-free selection processes. Candidates will be considered on merit regardless of their ethnic background, race, religious affiliation, marital status, family status, disability, gender identity or expression, age, or sexual orientation. Our organization offers an inclusive workplace where respect, teamwork, and collaboration are part of our culture.
Canada’s missions abroad are committed to promoting and supporting an environment free from harassment and discrimination, as well as encouraging and supporting employees to learn and develop their skills and competencies.
The Consulate General offers a competitive salary, generous leave and a strong benefits package including medical, dental, long term disability coverage, and a pension plan.
Method of application:
Please submit your CV and cover letter by email to BOSTN.Jobs@international.gc.ca by the closing date. The cover letter must clearly specify how you meet the essential qualifications for this position, including language, education and experience. Only applicants who clearly demonstrate through their application that they meet the essential requirements of the position will be contacted for further assessment.
On the subject line of the email, write only your LAST NAME in all caps followed by this competition number: BOSTN_2021_03. Hard copy applications will not be accepted.
Report a problem on this page
- Date Modified: