Language selection


Government of Canada services and information in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

Contact us

Services and information provided to Canadians by the Consulate General of Canada to Vietnam, in Ho Chi Minh City.

COVID-19: Travel guidance

All travellers, regardless of citizenship, must meet specific requirements when coming to Canada. For information on COVID-19 and travel, visit COVID-19: Travel, testing, quarantine and borders.

On this page

Adoption and surrogacy

Refer to International adoption.

Adoption in Vietnam is accessible to Vietnamese and foreign citizens under certain conditions. Please contact Vietnam Adoption Department directly for their advice on the criteria and procedure.

If you are a resident of Vietnam and planning to adopt a Vietnamese child, please contact us ( for information on how to obtain a cover letter for the local adoption authority.

Birth abroad

It is mandatory to register the birth of any child in Vietnam. You must contact the District People’s Committee of the child’s place of birth for advice on their requirements. The procedure may vary from province to province.

Refer to Birth abroad.

Citizenship services

Forms and instructions

How to apply

Citizenship applications must be submitted in person at either the Embassy of Canada in Hanoi or the Consulate General in Ho Chi Minh City, during designated consular public hours by online appointment only.

Criminal record checks

The Embassy in Hanoi and the Consulate General in Ho Chi Minh City do not provide fingerprinting or criminal record check services. Refer to the RCMP Criminal records page.

Payment method

Pay your application fees online.

Details Fee (CAD) Fee (VND)
Application for a Citizenship Certificate for adults and minors (Proof of Citizenship) 75.00 1340000.00
Replacement / Update of proof of Canadian citizenship 75.00 1340000.00

Death abroad

Refer to Death abroad.

Marriage abroad

Refer to Marriage outside Canada.

Marriages that are legally performed in a foreign country are usually valid in Canada, and you do not need to register them in Canada.

You cannot get married at the Embassy of Canada to Vietnam in Hanoi or Consulate General to Vietnam in Ho Chi Minh City. Consular officials do not perform marriage ceremonies and attend your marriage. In Vietnam, only marriages registered at local Justice Department are legally recognized.

The requirements for registering a marriage may vary from province to province. You are advised to contact the local District Justice Department directly for their specific instructions.

As part of the marriage registration process, the Vietnamese authorities normally require you to submit an Affidavit of Marital status which you can make at the Embassy. Please book an online appointment with us to have your Affidavit administered.

Notarial services

The Consulate General provides the following notarial services, by online appointment only, to Canadian citizens and, in limited cases, to non-Canadian citizens if the documents are intended for use in Canada or if the documents are Canadian official ones for use in Vietnam.

Note: Documents must be in English or French, or accompanied by an official translation in English or French.

Affidavit / Statutory declaration /Witnessing of Signatures: Only available for Canadians (fees apply). Canadians must sign all documents in front of consular officials at the Consulate General.

Authentication (certify the document signature, the position of an official and the seal are genuine): Documents issued in Canada must be authenticated by Global Affairs Canada in Ottawa before the Consulate General can certify the documents (fees apply).

Certified copy: The Consulate General only certify the document is a true copy of the original Canadian official documents. A certified copy does not validate the content of the original document or the copy (fees apply).

Payment method

Please submit a valid ID.
Payment in cash in CAD must be in the exact amount (no change available).
Only Visa and MasterCard are accepted.

Details Fee (CAD) Fee (VND)
Administering an oath or receiving a statutory declaration or affirmation. The fee shown is per document. 50.00 890000.00
Attesting any document bearing a signature (affidavit, declaration, affirmation, etc.). The fee shown is per document. 50.00 890000.00
Authenticating (witnessing) a signature. The fee shown is per document. 50.00 890000.00
Authenticating signatures of Canadian authorities or notaries. 50.00 890000.00
Certifying a true copy of a document. The fee shown is per copy. 20.00 360000.00
Uniting documents and sealing their fastening. The fee shown is per document. 30.00 535000.00
Transfer of private or public funds from Canada or elsewhere to the mission. The fee shown is per transfer. 75.00 1340000.00

Passport services

Refer to Canadian passports and travel documents.

Send your application by mail to the Consular Section, Consulate General of Canada, 9th Floor, The Metropolitan, 235 Dong Khoi, District 1,Ho Chi Minh City or book an online appointment to present your application in person.

Note: Processing time for applications submitted outside Canada is 20 business days. This does not include mailing time. If you must travel in less than 20 working days, apply for a temporary passport which will be issued within 3 working days upon receipt of a complete application (additional fees applied). For more information, email:

Payment method

You can pay online for all your passport services.

Payable in person by Visa and MasterCard, or in cash (VND or CAD).

Details Fee (CAD) Fee (VND)
10-year adult passport (age 16 or over) 260.00 4640000.00
5-year adult passport (age 16 or over) 190.00 3390000.00
5-year Child passport (0-15 years of age) 100.00 1785000.00
Additional fee for replacing a valid lost or stolen passport 45.00 800000.00
Retention of valid passport 45.00 800000.00
Temporary passport 110.00 1965000.00
Statutory declaration 50.00 890000.00
Emergency Travel Document 75.00 1340000.00
Pay online

Pensions and retirement

Refer to Benefits for Canadians living abroad.

Same-sex marriage abroad

Vietnam does not prohibit or recognize same-sex marriage since the revised Law on Family and Marriage in June 2014 (Vietnamese only).

Same-sex partners can celebrate marriage in Vietnam, but will not receive any legal recognition.

Studying abroad

Refer to Studying abroad and EduCanada.

Visa and immigration services

Permanent residents of Canada: Find out how to apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD).

Voting abroad

Refer to Voting in an election while outside Canada.

Report a problem on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, please contact us.

Date Modified: