Office of the Chief Economist
The Office of the Chief Economist reports and advises on international trade and economic issues, including global, regional and sectoral trends and developments; and undertakes trade and economic research and analysis in support of Global Affairs Canada's various functions: trade and investment policy, including negotiation of international agreements; international business development; and trade litigation.
Get the most up-to-date commercial information right here. National and provincial economic, investment and trade data are at your fingertips — formatted to fit your mobile device.
- Key Facts about Canada’s Competitiveness for Foreign Direct Investment - December 2020
- Canada’s State of Trade 2020
- Canada’s Merchandise Trade Performance with the EU after the Entry into Force of CETA
- Canada-EU free trade agreement provides stability and opportunities for businesses on both sides of Atlantic
- COVID-19 intensifies challenges for canadian exporters: trade by exporter characteristics
- The Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement: Economic Impact Assessment – 2020 (.pdf, 2MB)
- Stock of Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in Canada, 2018
- Economic Impact of Canada’s Potential Participation in the Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement
- Monthly Merchandise Trade Report - March 2020 (please note that the latest report is only available in PDF format only at this time)
- Identifying the Next Generation of Canadian Priority Markets - A Preliminary Analysis
- The Link Between Air Services Liberalization and Canadian Trade
- Chart of the Month
- The Economic Impact of the Canada-Chile Free Trade Agreement
Roles and Responsibilities
- Undertaking economic analysis and research regarding Canada's international trade in support of Global Affairs Canada's priority commercial policies and activities. Current areas of research include global value chains and the impact of trade commissioner services on exporter performance. The office also supports trade negotiators by carrying out impact analyses of potential free trade agreements (e.g. the Canada-EU study). Projects are generally client-based, responding to requests from client divisions within Global Affairs Canada.
- Producing publications, presentations and analytical papers on Canadian and international economic issues and trends. Regular publications include the annual State of Trade and Trade Policy Review, and the Monthly Trade Report.
For comments/questions related to Trade and economic research and analysis send us an e-mail at email@example.com
- Date Modified: