Women Foreign Ministers’ Meeting
On September 21 and 22, 2018, Canada and the European Union will co-host the Women Foreign Ministers’ Meeting (WFMM) in Montréal. Together with the European Union, we believe that women’s economic and political empowerment is critical to building a safer, more prosperous, inclusive world.
This meeting is a historic opportunity to advance global peace, security and prosperity by bringing together the world’s women foreign ministers. While in Montréal, they will discuss a range of issues, including international security, feminist foreign policy and aid, reinforcing democracy, diversity and inclusion, as well as combatting sexual and gender-based violence and defending women’s rights defenders. It is important to bring these voices together.
Civil society representatives, who have played a crucial role in shaping this meeting, will participate in the ministerial meeting in various capacities.
This initiative builds on previous engagements made by the Government of Canada to integrate a gender perspective in foreign and security policy, like the launch of Canada’s first Feminist International Assistance Policy and the Elsie Initiative, to increase the participation of women in peace operations.
We hope that the WFMM will make an important contribution to the global dialogue on the role of women in international affairs.
Women Foreign Ministers will be present from the following countries:
- Costa Rica
- Saint Lucia
- South Africa
- September 25, 2018 - Address by Minister Freeland to open the Women Foreign Ministers’ Meeting
- September 23, 2018 - Address by Minister Freeland at a press conference to conclude the Women Foreign Ministers’ Meeting
- September 23, 2018 - Canada and EU reiterate shared commitment to advance gender equality and women’s contributions to peace and security at the Women Foreign Ministers’ Meeting
- September 22, 2018 - Canada concludes successful Women Foreign Ministers’ Meeting
- April 22, 2018 - Canada and EU to co-host meeting of women foreign ministers
- September 21, 2018, 1:30 p.m. (EST) - Welcome and opening remarks
- September 22, 2018, 1:00 p.m. (EST) - Joint press conference with the Honourable Chrystia Freeland, Minister of Foreign Affairs, and Federica Mogherini, High Representative of the European Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy, and Vice President of the Commission
- Date Modified: