NAFTA - Chapter 11 - Investment
Cases filed against the Government of Canada
William Jay Greiner and Malbaie River Outfitters Inc. v. Government of Canada
William Jay Greiner is a U.S. citizen and he owns and controls Malbaie River Outfitters Inc., a Canada-based salmon fishing outfitter.
- 1102 (National Treatment)
- 1103 (Most-Favoured Nation Treatment)
- 1105 (Minimum Standard of Treatment)
- 1110 (Expropriation)
$8 million CAD
Withdrawn before the establishment of a Tribunal.
Mr. Greiner filed a Notice of Intent to Submit a Claim to Arbitration on September 16, 2008, a Notice of Arbitration on November 2, 2010 and an Amended Notice of Arbitration on December 2, 2010. He withdrew his claim on June 10, 2011.
Factual overview and nature of the claim
Mr. Greiner claimed that changes made in 2006 by the Quebec government to the lottery system used to issue fishing licenses on certain rivers in the Gaspé peninsula breached NAFTA Articles 1102 (National Treatment), 1103 (Most-Favoured Nation Treatment), 1105 (Minimum Standard Of Treatment) and 1110 (Expropriation). He further claimed that the Quebec Government improperly revoked his authorizations of commerce and provided preferential treatment to other outfitters in violation of these same articles.
Legal documents (all documents are in pdf)
The documents have been posted in the language in which they were received by the government. The Government of Canada has not modified or changed them in any way. As such they have not been translated from the original. They are provided in Acrobat (pdf) files. To view or download pdf files you need Adobe® Acrobat® Reader™ a free software that you can download from the web.
- ARCHIVED - Notice of Intent (PDF Document - 401 KB) - September 16, 2008
- ARCHIVED - Notice of Arbitration (PDF Document - 349 KB) - November 2, 2010
- ARCHIVED - Amended Notice of Arbitration (PDF Document - 345 KB) - December 2, 2010
- ARCHIVED - Notice of Arbitration - Withdrawal Letter (PDF Document - 531 KB) - June 10, 2011
Back to "Cases Filed Against the Government of Canada"
Back to the main menu "Dispute Settlement - NAFTA Chapter 11"
- Date Modified: