Backgrounder - Tariff rate quotas
Over the past three years, the Government of Canada has successfully concluded multiple new trade agreements. As a result of these new agreements, the Government of Canada has increased its tariff rate quota (TRQ) commitments for supply managed commodities.
- On September 21, 2017, Canada implemented the Canada-European Union Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA), pursuant to which Canada established two TRQs for cheese.
- On November 30, 2018, Canada, the United States and Mexico signed the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement (CUSMA). The ratification of CUSMA would introduce a further 16 TRQs for dairy, poultry and egg products.
- On December 30, 2018, Canada implemented 20 new TRQs for various dairy, poultry and egg products pursuant to the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership (CPTPP). In conjunction with the announcement of an interim allocation policy for these TRQs, Global Affairs Canada announced that it would be undertaking a broad-based stakeholder engagement exercise in 2019 to review the overall administration of Canada’s system of TRQs.
- Implementation of the CPTPP and the provisional application of CETA have increased Canada’s TRQ commitments from the 20 TRQs established under the World Trade Organization (WTO) in 1995 to 42 TRQs under administration today. Implementation of CUSMA would see this increase to 58 TRQs.
- Tariff rate quotas explained - A guide to answering the consultation questions
- Notices to importers - List of current notices to importers that reflect the policies and procedures associated with the administration of TRQs
TRQs under the WTO
- WTO tariff quota administration - Understanding on tariff rate quota administration provisions of agricultural products, as defined in article 2 of the Agreement on Agriculture - ministerial decision of 7 December 2013
TRQs under CETA
- CETA Chapter 2, Annex 2-A: Tariff elimination
- CETA Chapter 2, Annex 2-B: Declaration of the Parties concerning tariff rate quota administration
TRQs under the CPTPP
- CPTPP Chapter 2, Section D: Tariff Rate Quota Administration (agreed-upon principles for the administration of TRQs by CPTPP Parties)
- CPTPP Appendix A to Tariff Schedule of Canada (Tariff Rate Quotas), Section A: General Provisions (details on negotiated scheduled rights and commitments specific to the administration of Canadian TRQs)
TRQs under CUSMA (not yet ratified)
- CUSMA Chapter 2, National Treatment and Market Access for Goods
- CUSMA Chapter 2, Annex 2-B, Appendix 2: Tariff Schedule of Canada (Tariff Rate Quotas), Section A: General Provisions
- CUSMA Chapter 3, Agriculture
- Date Modified: