Join the discussion: Canada’s possible accession to the Digital Economy Partnership Agreement
Current status: Closed
This consultation ran from March 19, 2021 to May 3, 2021.
The Government of Canada is seeking input from Canadians regarding the possibility of Canada joining the Digital Economy Partnership Agreement (DEPA) between Chile, New Zealand, and Singapore (DEPA parties). In advance of possible future accession negotiations with the DEPA Parties, the Government of Canada is seeking views on the existing commitments contained in the text of the agreement, as well as views on how the DEPA could be updated to further facilitate international trade in the digital economy.
A summary of stakeholder input will be published following the consultation, after which, stakeholders will be able to provide further comments.
Who was the focus of this consultation?
The consultation is open to all Canadians. Any stakeholder or individual interested in international digital trade issues is invited to provide input as part of this consultation, including but not limited to:
- Canadian businesses, including micro-, small, and medium-sized enterprises
- industry associations
- academics and experts
- provincial, territorial, and municipal governments
- Indigenous peoples
- civil society organizations and non-governmental organizations
- labour unions
- women’s associations; lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and 2-spirit stakeholders; and other community groups
The Government of Canada is seeking views from a diverse range of Canadians and welcomes input from traditionally under-represented groups.
Purpose of the consultations
The Government of Canada is seeking to:
- Inform Canada’s positions, interests, and any sensitivities prior to engaging in possible DEPA accession negotiations with Chile, New Zealand, and Singapore
- Hear stakeholders’ views on the DEPA text as it currently exists, as well as to hear views on how the DEPA could be updated to advance international digital trade and address any barriers
What is the deadline for consultation submissions?
The submission period for the Canada Gazette notice will last 45 days, and end on May 3, 2021. The Government of Canada is committed to hearing from Canadians on this topic and will ensure that Canadians continue to have the opportunity to provide their views as we engage with DEPA parties, including through our ongoing consultation efforts.
DEPA Accession Consultations
Services Trade Policy Division (TMS)
Global Affairs Canada
111 Sussex Drive
Ottawa ON, K1A 0G2
Report a problem on this page
- Date Modified: