How a Canadian Technology Accelerator can help your business
A Canadian Technology Accelerator (CTA) can give your firm a head start in a foreign market.
CTAs are located in major tech hubs and support firms in a wide range of technology sectors.
Each CTA focuses on helping businesses take advantage of what the local market has to offer. These services vary among CTAs, but generally include:
- mentorship and advice from industry leaders in the foreign market
- office space in technology centres shared with other entrepreneurs and innovators
- access to potential investors
- connections and networking in the technology business community
Started in 2009, the initiative is currently operating in six cities. It is aimed at small technology companies serving three main sectors:
- information communication technology (ICT), robotics and devices
- life sciences
CTAs have helped Canadian businesses acquire investment, advice, partners and sales.
How CTAs can fit into your development and expansion plans
CTAs support companies that have market traction in Canada with a well-developed product or service. Many participating companies are graduates of accelerators or incubators in Canada and are ready to take the next step into new markets.
Typical goals of CTA participants include:
- refining their business model and pitch
- learning the business culture in the market
- meeting mentors (including successful Canadian business people working outside Canada)
- learning about funding opportunities (Series A or beyond)
- benefiting from in-market experience
Applicants must be ready to make a significant commitment of time and money, with senior personnel devoting several months of full-time participation in the CTA.
"The CTA provided us with the some of the best mentors that we've ever had. Our experience there has set us on the right track towards building an incredibly valuable company in the short term and long term."
Before applying, learn more about individual CTAs. Contact your regional office of the Trade Commissioner Service. Trade commissioners can help you determine whether CTAs are right for your business, and which CTA is the best fit.
Join our network
For general information about the CTA initiative, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ready to apply?
- Date Modified: