Resources and tools for responsible business conduct
The Government of Canada provides guidance on responsible business conduct abroad to the Canadian business community through the Canadian Trade Commissioner Service (TCS). With trade offices across Canada and in over 160 locations around the world, the TCS plays an important role in providing responsible business conduct advice and guidance to Canadian companies already active abroad or looking to expand to new markets.
The TCS and Canada’s network of diplomatic missions abroad promotes responsible business practices and creates opportunities for relationship building through conferences, workshops and other activities involving companies, representatives of host governments, civil society organizations and communities.
To advance responsible business conduct abroad, Global Affairs Canada’s Responsible Business Fund provides funding to help develop and deliver approximately 50 projects and initiatives each year in countries around the world, via Canada’s network of missions abroad. The Canadian Ombudsperson for Responsible Enterprise and Canada’s National Contact Point for Responsible Business Conduct can also provide responsible business conduct advice to Canadian businesses.
Global Affairs Canada tools and resources
Responsible business conduct snapshots for companies
- Community stakeholder engagement: HTML version | PDF version 0.5 MB
- Managing requests for community support: HTML version | PDF version 0.7 MB
- Hiring responsibly: HTML version | PDF version 0.4 MB
- Conflict-sensitive good business practices: HTML version | PDF version 0.1 MB
- Local procurement: HTML version | PDF version 0.1 MB
- Site-level community response mechanisms engagement: HTML version | PDF version 0.09 MB
- Private Sector Support for Human Rights Defenders: A Primer for Canadian Businesses: HTML version | PDF version 0.3 MB
CanadExport articles on responsible business conduct
- Finding sustainable markets abroad for Canada’s natural resources
- Canada sets a world standard for sustainable mining
Other Government of Canada tools and resources
Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada: Corporate Social Responsibility homepage
Natural Resources Canada: Corporate Social Responsibility homepage
Employment and Social Development Canada - Supporting the Forced Labour Import Ban and Social Corporate Responsibility initiatives
Export Development Canada (EDC) - Corporate sustainability and responsibility
Business Development Canada (BDC) - We’re a B Corp (A certified beneficial company)
Canadian Commercial Corporation (CCC) - Commitment to Responsible Business Conduct
Resources from partner organizations
Global Compact Network Canada (GCNC) - Provides information and resources (such as the documents below) to help organizations implement the UN Global Compact’s Ten Principles and the 17 Sustainable Development Goals.
- OECD Guidelines for RBC and Sector-Specific Guidance - A Manual for Canada - Helps Canadian businesses implement the OECD Guidelines and further embed responsible practices in operations domestically and throughout the world (developed by the GCNC Working Group with support from Global Affairs Canada).
- Sustainable Development Goals Emerging Practice Guide - Provides examples of practices and policies adopted by the Canadian private sector to advance the Sustainable Development Goals (developed by the GCNC with support from Global Affairs Canada).
UNICEF Canada Corporate Social Responsibility – Provides tools for businesses to integrate children’s rights into their policies and due diligence.
International Labour Organization - Brings together governments, employers and workers to set labour standards, develop policies and devise programmes promoting decent work for all women and men.
Report a problem on this page
- Date Modified: