Exploratory discussions for a possible Canada-ASEAN free trade agreement
The conclusion of exploratory discussions for a possible Canada-ASEAN free trade agreement (FTA) was announced on September 10, 2019, at the ASEAN Economic Ministers (AEM) -Canada Consultations in Bangkok, Thailand.
Canada and the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) member states launched exploratory discussions for a possible Canada-ASEAN FTA on September 8th, 2017. The first set of face-to-face exploratory discussions took place July 11-12, 2018, in Singapore. A second set of exploratory discussions was held on April 7-8, 2019, in Laos. The discussions served as an opportunity for Canada and ASEAN to exchange information about each other’s typical approach to FTA negotiations and respective domestic regulatory regimes, and to explore the elements of a possible Canada-ASEAN FTA.
From September 1 to October 16, 2018, the Government also conducted public consultations to seek the views of Canadians on a possible FTA with ASEAN. A summary of these consultations was published in February 2019. The Government is committed to continuing to engage Canadians on a possible FTA with ASEAN.
The Government of Canada aims to expand trade and investment with large, fast-growing markets, including ASEAN. Together, ASEAN member states represent the fifth largest economy in the world, and Canada’s sixth largest trading partner.
We continue to welcome your views and invite you to send your comments regarding a possible Canada-ASEAN FTA at any time:
Trade Policy and Negotiations - Asia (TCA)
Global Affairs Canada
125 Sussex Drive
Ottawa, ON K1A 0G2
- Joint Media Statement – Ninth ASEAN Economic Ministers-Canada Consultations
- Canada and the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN)
- Joint Media Statement – Eight ASEAN Economic Ministers-Canada Consultations
- Consulting Canadians on a possible Canada-ASEAN FTA
- Joint Feasibility study for a Canada-ASEAN free trade agreement
- Joint Media Statement - Seventh ASEAN Economic Ministers-Canada Consultations
- Joint Media Statement - Sixth ASEAN Economic Ministers-Canada Consultations
Report a problem on this page
- Date Modified: