Meeting of bilateral dialogue on forest products
May 28, 2020 by Videoconference
The third CETA Bilateral Dialogue on Forest Products, established under Article 25.4 of the CETA, took place by video conference on May 28, 2020. Discussion topics included:
- Trade in forest products
Parties discussed updates to EU certification requirements for pre-fabricated structures. The EU indicated it would follow up to provide more information to Canadian stakeholders on the process and timelines of developing the new European Assessment Document for pre-fabricated housing.
- Forest management policies and programs
Parties shared information on forest and market impacts and prospects, as well as best practices regarding forest-damaging insect infestations (Canada: Mountain Pine Beetle; EU: Spruce Bark Beetle)
- Resource efficiency / Circular economy
The discussion covered: implementation of the EU’s new Renewable Energy Directive; COVID-19 and forest product supply chains; the new EU Circular Economy Action Plan; developing a circular and sustainable bioeconomy in Canada; and a bioeconomy update from Canada. It was noted that the FAO Forestry Department is holding a series of webinars on impacts and solutions for the global forest-based sector.
- International cooperation to halt deforestation and forest degradation
Parties discussed EU initiative on stepping up EU action to protect and restore the world’s forests.
- Planning for next meeting
It was agreed that the next bilateral dialogue would take place in the first half of 2021.
- DG Internal Market, Industry, Entrepreneurship and SMEs (DG GROW)
- DG Trade
- DG Energy
- DG Research and Innovation
- DG Joint Research Centre (JRC)
- DG Environment
- Global Affairs Canada, Technical Barriers and Regulations division
- Natural Resources Canada – Canadian Forest Service: Trade and International Affairs Division, Economic Analysis Division and Pacific Forestry Center
- Canada Delegation to EU
Report a problem on this page
- Date Modified: