CPTPP - Tariff elimination
New opportunities for Canada
- The elimination of tariffs under the CPTPP will provide Canadian exporters across a broad range of sectors in all provinces and territories with new opportunities in key foreign markets.
- This will be particularly beneficial for exports to Japan, where the elimination of tariffs will give Canada a “first mover” advantage in the market (i.e. over U.S. exporters).
- The elimination of tariffs among the parties under the CPTPP will make Canadian products more competitive and will put Canadian products on a level playing field with competitors.
Tariff elimination highlights: Agriculture
- Under the CPTPP, Canadian agricultural exporters will enjoy immediate duty-free treatment for a broad range of products, including in:
- Japan for pet food, feed barley, blueberries and cranberries;
- Malaysia for sugar-containing products, baked goods, apples and prepared potatoes; and
- Vietnam for honey, canola seeds and food preparations.
- Canada will also benefit from tariff phase-outs for other key Canadian exports such as fresh and frozen beef, pork, maple syrup, icewine, frozen french fries and many others.
Tariff elimination highlights: Industrial products
- The CPTPP will eliminate tariffs on many key Canadian industrial exports upon entry into force, including in:
- Japan for aluminum products and plastic tubes;
- Australia for construction and agriculture equipment, cosmetics and medical equipment; and
- Vietnam for telephones, chemical-reaction initiators and accelerators, and loading equipment.
- Canada will also benefit from tariff phase-outs for products such as metals and minerals, chemicals and plastics, and industrial machinery.
Tariff elimination highlights: Forestry
- A number of Canadian forest products and value-added wood products will gain duty-free access under the CPTPP, including in:
- Japan for lumber, oriented strand board, plywood and veneer panels (tariffs will be eliminated within 15 years); and
- Vietnam for newsprint and carton boxes (tariffs will be eliminated within three years) and wood carpentry (tariffs will be eliminated upon entry into force).
Report a problem on this page
- Date Modified: