Language selection


Cross Border Movement of Business Persons

Temporary Entry into the United States and Mexico under the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement

A Guide for Canadian Business persons

Published by Global Affairs Canada

1. Temporary Entry into the United States and Mexico under the CUSMA

Under Chapter 16 of the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement (CUSMA), four categories of Canadian business persons can enter the United States and Mexico temporarily to conduct business.

Chapter 16 provisions do not change a member country’s general immigration regulations governing public health, safety and national security. They also do not waive the requirement for Canadian temporary workers to comply with a member country’s applicable licensing or certification requirements regarding professions or after-sales service.

For more detailed information about U.S. immigration regulations and applicable forms and fees, consult the website of the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

For information regarding entry into Mexico as well as applicable forms and fees, please see the website of the Embassy of Mexico in Canada.

Am I eligible to enter the United States or Mexico temporarily on business?

Chapter 16 of the CUSMA allows the following categories of businesspersons access to the United States and Mexico:

What is Temporary Entry?

Temporary entry, as defined in the CUSMA, means entry without the intent to establish permanent residence. For example, the United States specifies that the alien must satisfy to the inspecting immigration officer that the proposed stay is temporary. A temporary period has a reasonable, finite end that does not equate to permanent residence. In order to establish that the alien's entry will be temporary, the alien must demonstrate to the satisfaction of the inspecting immigration officer that his or her work assignment in the U.S. will end at a predictable time and that he or she will depart upon completion of the assignment.

Can my family accompany me?

For each of the above four categories, spouses and dependents may accompany you as long as they meet the member country’s existing temporary entry immigration regulations. In other words, spouses and dependents enter a CUSMA member country as visitors. There are no special provisions under the CUSMA to facilitate the issue of employment authorizations for spouses and dependents.

Spouses and dependents wishing to seek employment must also comply with the member country’s regular job validation process for temporary foreign workers. Spouses or dependents
can work in the United States only if they independently qualify under the CUSMA or under the general foreign worker provisions, including a labour certification test.

Spouses of Intra-company Transferees and Traders and Investors may benefit from general U.S. immigration provisions allowing spouses to work while in the United States. They must, however, first obtain an Employment Authorization before beginning work by submitting Form I-765. 

Don’t qualify for temporary entry under the CUSMA?

If you have a job offer or signed contract from an employer in the United States or Mexico, but you do not qualify under the four categories of CUSMA businesspersons, you may still qualify for entry under U.S. or Mexican general immigration provisions.

Occupations not covered under the CUSMA require different types of temporary worker authorizations. These include athletes, agricultural workers, computer programmers, journalists, performers, trades people, trainees, students and volunteers, among others. Information on the various processes for temporary entry into the U.S. is available on the USCIS website . (See also VI. Non-CUSMA Temporary Entry Visas in the United States.)

In Mexico, immigration regulations limit the categories to which foreign citizens may apply. Generally, they are only issued work permits in certain sectors or those undergoing labour shortages. More information on working or doing business in Mexico is available on the Embassy of Mexico in Canada website.

Be prepared!!!

Before You Go, Don’t Forget...

Chapter 16 provisions of the CUSMA:

Expedited Removal

Canadians travelling to the United States should note that U.S. Immigration’s “expedited removal” procedure allows an immigration agent, with the concurrence of a supervisor, to bar non-citizens from the United States for five years if, in their judgment, the individual presented false documentation or misrepresented themselves. Canadians should be aware that lying to a border official is a serious offence. Expedited removal is part of comprehensive reforms intended to control irregular immigration. There is no formal appeal process under expedited removal, but if you believe the law has been misapplied in your case, you can request a supervisory review by writing to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) district director responsible for the port of entry where the decision was made. Cases of possible misapplication should also be brought to the attention of the Consular Affairs Bureau of Foreign Affairs Canada at 1 800-267-6788 or (613) 944-6788 (in Ottawa) or to the attention of the nearest Canadian government office.

Not Eligible to Enter the United States?

Criminal Records

If you have a criminal record, no matter how minor or how long ago the offence occurred, you may be refused entry to the U.S. and there may be problems in transit through U.S. airports. Under U.S. law, a pardon issued by Canadian authorities is not recognized for purposes of entry into the U.S. If you have a criminal record or are unsure if you are eligible to enter the U.S., contact U.S. immigration officials at the relevant port of entry well before travelling to the United States. If you are not eligible, you may apply for a waiver of ineligibility (Form I-192, Advance Permission to Enter the United States, PDF, 40.3 KB). Please keep in mind that there is a fee for this service and that it may take several months to process your application.

Return to Guide for Canadian Businesspersons table of contents

Report a problem on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, please contact us.

Date Modified: