Language selection


Cross Border Movement of Business Persons

Temporary Entry into the United States and Mexico under the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement

A Guide for Canadian Businesspersons

Published by Global Affairs Canada

2. Business Visitors

Business Visitors can enter the United States or Mexico on a temporary basis to perform work as follows:

Research and Design

Growth, Manufacture and Production




General Service

Professionals engaged in a business activity covered under the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement (CUSMA), but not receiving salary or other payment from a U.S. or Mexican source (e.g. delivering speeches or giving presentations at conferences). Expense allowances or other expense reimbursements related to the temporary stay are permitted.

After-Sales Service

This activity consists of installers, repair and maintenance personnel, and supervisors that:

If entering the U.S. or Mexico to provide after-sales service, you must present a copy of the original sales contract clearly stating the reason for which you are entering the country.

Specialized knowledge, in relation to after-sales service, is defined as a high degree of knowledge that can only be passed on to an already skilled person through extensive training. Hands-on building and construction work, either on-site or in-plant does not fall under the after-sales service category. This applies regardless of the wording in the sales, warranty or service agreements, as it is not considered to require specialized knowledge. A Canadian businessperson, however, may supervise or train workers that carry out installation, repair or maintenance work involving building or construction activities.

Third-Party Service takes place when a seller located in Canada contracts the after-sales service to a third party and is allowable under the CUSMA. The original contract or bill of sale must clearly specify that a third party will perform the installation, warranty or service work.

The initial warranty or service agreement may be extended if the sales agreement, or the initial warranty or service agreement, provides for such an extension. In this case, the aftersales service continues to be part of the sale of equipment, machinery or computer software.

How do I qualify as a CUSMA Business Visitor?

You may qualify as a CUSMA Business Visitor if:

If you wish to work for an employer or under contract to an enterprise located in the U.S. or Mexico, you do not qualify as a business visitor. In this case, you need to apply under a different CUSMA category or under the member country’s general provisions that apply to temporary foreign workers.

What documentation do I need at the border?

At a U.S. or Mexican port of entry, you must establish that you qualify as a CUSMA Business Visitor.

You should carry with you poof of Canadian citizenship (ideally, your Canadian passport) and a letter outlining the purpose of your business trip. This will assist in your inspection by U.S. or Mexican immigration officials.

The letter should include:

In addition, if you are entering to perform after-sales service, you will need a copy of the sales invoice and the related warranty and/or service agreement.

Tools of the Trade

For information on commercial samples, trade show displays or professional equipment that you may wish to carry when travelling to the United States, please refer to the U.S. Customs Web site.

For information on Mexican customs procedures, please refer to the Mexican Customs Agency web site.

United States

How can I apply as a Business Visitor?

You may apply for entry to the United States as a Business Visitor at a land border port of entry, or at an international airport preflight inspection station. There is no written application or prior petition required, apart from providing evidence that you meet the requirements of the category, as outlined in the section above, “What documentation do I need at the border?”

Normally, Business Visitors can stay in the U.S. for the time required to conduct business, but not longer than six months. United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) admits CUSMA Business Visitors under the B-1 Classification. Remember, the length of your stay is at the discretion of USCIS officials. Business Visitors entering the U.S. can request that an I-94 (Record of entry document) be inserted in their passport if they are involved in activities that require frequent cross-border movement or extended stays. If you are a frequent Business Visitor, but the purpose of entry is different for each visit, you will not be issued an I-94 document. I-94 documents are issued for periods of up to six months. You cannot apply for an I-94 before seeking temporary entry into the United States. Please keep in mind that there is a nominal fee for issuing this document.

The U.S. Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) is based on the law of presumption. Therefore, an applicant for admission must prove that he or she fits into one of the nonimmigrant classifications or is presumed to be an alien.

How can I change or renew my status?

If you wish to obtain or renew Business Visitor status from within the U.S., you may apply to the USCIS through Form I-539 (Application to extend/change non-immigrant status). Please keep in mind that there is a nominal fee and that applications may take three months or longer to process. You should remain in the U.S. while your application is being processed. Leaving the country at this time may negatively affect the successful completion of your application.

Forms & Fees

Information on current forms and fees for each of the four CUSMA business categories is available from the USCIS Web site. The site also provides additional information on how to extend your Business Visitor status in the United States.


How can I apply as a Business Visitor?

Canadian Business Visitors entering Mexico must complete a Multiple Migratory Form (FMN). You can obtain an FMN in advance from travel agencies and airlines, from the Mexican Embassy or one of its consulates in Canada, or as you enter at a Mexican port of entry. You can also find more information on the Mexican Embassy web site.

Besides the general information required above, the FMN requests information such as:

It is important to keep the FMN throughout your stay in Mexico. You must, however, return the FMN form to immigration officers upon your departure from Mexico. Failure to do so can result in fines and delays.

If you qualify as a Business Visitor but need to stay in Mexico for more than 30 days, you should obtain an FM-3 VISA from the Mexican consular office nearest your place of residence before departing for Mexico. This will allow you to remain in Mexico for a maximum period of one year with multiple entries.

The FM-3 requires:

Please keep in mind that there is a fee for processing the FM-3 form, and that you may extend the duration of the FM-3 card.

How can I change or renew my status?

You cannot extend or renew the FMN. You will require a new one each time you re-enter the country. If you wish to stay in Mexico for more than 30 days, you must obtain an FM-3 visa, as outlined above. If you wish to change your temporary residency status from within Mexico, for example, from an FMN to an FM-3, you can apply in Mexico at a National Migration Institute office.

Return to Guide for Canadian Businesspersons table of contents

Report a problem on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, please contact us.

Date Modified: