Canada-United Arab Emirates Foreign Investment Promotion and Protection Agreement Negotiations
On May 25, 2018, after six rounds of negotiations, Canada and the UAE concluded the negotiations toward a foreign investment promotion and protection agreement (FIPA). Canada’s objective in concluding these negotiations is to secure a comprehensive and high-quality agreement that will protect Canadian investors in the UAE. During a visit to Canada in July 2014 by His Highness Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyan, the United Arab Emirates’ (UAE’s) Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, both countries agreed to begin negotiations.
A bilateral FIPA will provide greater predictability and certainty for Canadian investors considering investment opportunities in the UAE and for UAE investors in Canada. Canada’s FIPAs help attract foreign investment and provide Canadians with more opportunities to invest abroad with confidence. Our modern agreements carefully balance the interests of all Canadian stakeholders.
- Fact Sheet - United Arab Emirates
- Embassy of Canada to United Arab Emirates
- Export and Development Canada - Country Info: United Arab Emirates
- May 29, 2018 - Canada and United Arab Emirates announce successful conclusion of foreign investment promotion and protection agreement negotiations
- Declaration of Intent by the Government of Canada and the Government of the United Arab Emirates on the Conclusion of Negotiations for a Bilateral Foreign Investment Promotion and Protection Agreement
If you have questions or comments, please contact Global Affairs Canada at:
Investment Trade Policy Division (TNI)
Global Affairs Canada
Lester B. Pearson Building
125 Sussex Drive
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0G2
- Date Modified: