About Canada Trade Missions
Led by the Minister of International Trade or other senior government officials, Canada Trade Missions provide access to resources from Canada’s export agencies, and present unique opportunities and benefits to participants. These benefits include:
- access to economic and government decision-makers
- on-the-ground support from the Trade Commissioner Service (TCS) network and export agencies, including Export Development Canada and the Canadian Commercial Corporation
- unparalleled networking opportunities with the local business community
- business-to-business meetings with potential partners
- foreign market intelligence and troubleshooting
- opportunities to create export partnerships.
What does a Canada Trade Mission include?
Canada Trade Missions generally take place within a one week period and involve visiting one or more countries and spending an average of 1.5 to 2 days in each city. Participants learn about doing business in the host market(s) and gain exposure to the social and business cultures.
The structured program can include:
- business briefings
- market and sector presentations/discussions
- networking events
- business-to-business meetings
- site visits (when possible)
- face-time with the minister or senior government officials
Am I eligible to participate in a Canada Trade Mission?
If you are part of the Canadian business community, contribute to Canada’s economic growth, have a demonstrated capacity for internationalization, and have good potential to add value to the Canadian economy, you can participate in a Canada Trade Mission and benefit from the Trade Commissioner Service – Eligibility and services.
Generally, interested companies must register for a specific trade mission and will be screened for suitability based on the objectives of the mission.
Is there funding available?
Canadian companies that want to participate in a trade mission might benefit from CanExport, a new funding program by the TCS that offers an incentive for small and medium-sized enterprises to diversify in export markets.
The Government of Canada as well as individual provincial and territorial governments also offer a number of export financing programs that help Canadian businesses expand internationally.
How do I find out about upcoming trade missions organized by Global Affairs Canada?
Connect with our network of Trade Commissioners in Canada and around the world. They can recommend trade missions or other export initiatives based on your international business objectives. Also consider subscribing to the TCS communications products and social media outlets that provide updates and information on upcoming trade missions:
- Join the TCS LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook groups
- Sign up with the Trade Commissioner Service
- Bookmark the Trade Missions webpage
- Women entrepreneurs should connect with the Business Women in International Trade (BWIT) initiative
Report a problem on this page
- Date Modified: