© UNICEF / Urdaneta
The Government of Canada’s International Assistance 2020-2021
In 2020-2021, Canada and its partners helped reduce poverty. We built a more peaceful, inclusive and prosperous world.
Canada played a leadership role in the ACT-Accelerator and its COVAX Facility, committing $1.3 billion to this important initiative to promote equitable access to COVID-19 tests, treatments and vaccines.
Canada provided close to $1.2 billion to meet the humanitarian needs of some 115 million people around the world.
Canada supported women’s organizations working for change by providing $23 million to Women’s Voice and Leadership initiatives. We helped eliminate sexual and gender-based violence through a contribution of $95 million.
This report includes:
- an overview of Canada's global response to COVID-19
- a summary of how Canada has advanced the priorities set out in the Feminist International Assistance Policy and the 2030 Agenda
- Canada's commitment to partnerships, innovation and inclusion
Guided by Canada's Feminist International Assistance Policy, we helped improve the lives of millions of people. We addressed global inequities through international assistance programming.
Top 10 recipient of international assistance
|1 - Ethiopia||$215.50 million|
|2 - Afghanistan||$198.55 million|
|3 - Bangladesh||$197.46 million|
|4 - Tanzania||$133.82 million|
|5 - Mali||$132.93 million|
|6 - Mozambique||$132.50 million|
|7 - South Sudan||$129.20 million|
|8 - Lebanon||$127.08 million|
|9 - Nigeria||$126.56 million|
|10 - Democratic Republic of the Congo||$120.73 million|
Disbursements by action area of the Feminist International Assistance Policy
|Action area||International assistance|
|Gender equality and the empowerment of women and girls||$377 million|
|Global health and nutrition||$2,232 million|
|Humanitarian action||$1,162 million|
|Jobs, opportunities and economic growth||$877 million|
|Climate and environment||$1,080 million|
|Inclusive governance||$446 million|
|Peace and security||$257 million|
Report at a glance
- Message from the Minister of International Development and Minister of Foreign Affairs
- Message from the Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Finance
- Government of Canada’s International Assistance and Official Development Assistance Disbursements by Organization, 2020–2021
- Canada's global response to COVID-19
- Canada in the world: International assistance in action
- Moving forward: Partnerships, innovation and inclusion
Stories of change
Behind the data, international assistance focuses on people and organizations who work hard to make a difference.
Working on the ground to fight COVID-19 in Bangladesh
In Bangladesh, health workers distributed masks and life-saving messages to limit the spread of COVID-19.
Developing lifelong readers by better preparing teachers
There is a teacher shortage in Mozambique, and one-on-one literacy mentoring may be the answer.
Countering discrimination and violence against women and people with disabilities in Haiti
Canada helped counter violence towards women and people with disabilities in Haiti.
Report a problem on this page
- Date Modified: