Compliance 101 for development initiatives
Once an agreement is signed between Global Affairs Canada (GAC) and a partner organization for a development grant or contribution, the recipient organization must adhere to several financial clauses and administrative requirements.
Since financial documentation contained in these agreements is often long and complex, GAC's Financial Compliance Unit (FCU) has come up with a simple way to convey the information and its underlying intent.
Below you will find links to animated YouTube videos that will help you understand certain requirements in your grant or contribution agreement. These videos are intended to:
- create awareness and inform partner organizations about GAC's financial clauses and administrative requirements
- avoid the need for future adjustments in the event of a compliance audit
- improve the financial management of the projects implemented by GAC's partner organizations
- Direct costs vs. indirect costs
Determine the differences between a direct and an indirect cost.
- Allocation of shared costs
Select proper methodologies for allocating shared and administrative costs.
- Foreign exchange
Comply with financial requirements when receiving or making advance payments.
- Salary increases
Learn the principles around remuneration.
Understand airfare principles for travel arrangements.
About the Financial Compliance Unit
In addition to managing auditing and compliance for grant and contribution agreements, the FCU is also responsible for financial capacity-building activities (FCBA). We provide several value-added services to partner organizations:
- guidance on the financial terms of their agreements
- support in strengthening their financial information systems and internal controls for sound financial management of projects
- direction on increasing their capacity to produce financial reports that meet GAC's requirements
- advice on increasing their capacity to meet administrative requirements in managing their agreements
- feedback on the compliance and eligibility of their expenses
Submit your suggestions for future video topics you would like to see on this page by emailing the FCU at CFO-FCU@international.gc.ca
- Financial Policies for International Development Assistance
- Guidance on eligible costs for Development initiatives
- Global Affairs Canada forms
Report a problem on this page
- Date Modified: