Canada and the United Nations Development Programme
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the UN's global development network. It advances human development by providing policy advice and technical assistance to countries in support of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development (SDGs) and plays a lead role in the UN's reform efforts.
UNDP provides support to developing countries' national governments in four areas—fighting poverty, strengthening democratic governance, preventing and recovering from crises, and protecting the environment and natural resources. It also works to halt and reverse HIV/AIDS, empower women and grow national capacities.
Through the UN's Delivering as One initiative, UNDP is coordinating the work of all UN institutions in developing countries in order to increase aid effectiveness and accelerate progress toward achieving the MDGs.
Canada has worked closely with UNDP since its creation in 1965. UNDP works in 177 countries and territories.
In 2011, with the support of Canada and other donors, UNDP:
- Helped improve food security in 39 countries by supporting increases in food production, establishing mechanisms to protect crops and livestock in areas prone to drought and natural disasters and stimulating the food industry
- Helped 62 countries create jobs and improve livelihoods, benefiting 1.6 million people
- Helped 26 countries adopt official policies promoting small enterprises and women's entrepreneurship
- Helped 50 countries introduce social protection programs that include youth, women and other vulnerable groups
- Helped strengthen institutions providing access to justice to individuals and communities, and guaranteeing the rule of law, in 90 countries
- Helped 41 countries adopt initiatives that increase access to renewable and clean energy for the poor
- Helped 140 countries formulate and implement low-emission, climate resilient development strategies and overcome market and institutional barriers to climate change adaptation
- Supported early action to diffuse potential conflict in 8 countries
- Supported an election somewhere in the world every 2 weeks
Report a problem on this page
- Date Modified: