Canadian Sanctions Related to Lebanon
Technical assistance prohibition
- 2019-03-04 - Regulations were amended
- 2009-01-29 - Regulations were amended
- 2007-09-18 - Regulations entered into force
Sanctions related to Lebanon were enacted under the United Nations Act to give effect to United Nations Security Council Resolution 1701. Subject to certain exceptions, the measures imposed against Lebanon include:
- a prohibition on the export of arms and related material to any person in Lebanon; and
- a prohibition on the provision to any person in Lebanon of any technical assistance related to the provision, manufacture, maintenance or use of arms and related material.
There is an exception to the above prohibitions for arms and related material and related technical assistance authorized in advance in writing by the Government of Lebanon or by the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon.
On August 11, 2006, acting under Chapter VII of the Charter of the United Nations, the United Nations Security Council adopted Resolution 1701 imposing sanctions against Lebanon, in response to the continued escalation of hostilities in Lebanon and Israel stemming from Hizbollah's attack of July 12, 2006, on Israel. The resolution was also adopted in recognition of the commitment of the Government of Lebanon to extend its authority over its territory, through its own legitimate armed forces, such that there will be no weapons without the consent of the Government of Lebanon and no authority other than that of the Government of Lebanon.
The Regulations Implementing the United Nations Resolution on Lebanon implement the decisions of the Security Council in Canadian domestic law.
Regulations made under the United Nations Act:
- Justice Canada consolidation of the Regulations Implementing the United Nations Resolutions on Lebanon
- 2019-03-04 (Entered into force) - Regulations Amending Certain Regulations Made Under the United Nations Act (SOR/2019-60)
- 2009-01-29 (Entered into force) - Regulations Amending the United Nations Liberia Regulations and the Regulations Implementing the United Nations Resolution on Lebanon (SOR/2009-23) (PDF version, 2.4 MB, see page 180 of the linked document)
- 2007-09-18 (Entered into force) - Regulations Implementing the United Nations Resolutions on Lebanon (SOR/2007-204) (PDF version, 708 KB, see page 1970 of the linked document)
- United Nations Security Council Resolution 1701 (2006)
- Export and Import Controls
- Canada-Lebanon relations
Please be advised that Global Affairs Canada cannot provide legal advice to members of the public. For this reason, we cannot deliver an opinion as to whether or not a specific activity or transaction would contravene sanctions legislation. You should consider seeking legal advice in relation to an activity that may contravene a Canadian sanction law.
Report a problem on this page
- Date Modified: