Strategic Partnership Agreement
Canada and the European Union (EU) share a close partnership and have launched a Strategic Partnership Agreement (SPA) to further deepen and broaden bilateral cooperation on a wide range of issues such as international peace and security, counter-terrorism, human rights and nuclear non-proliferation, clean energy and climate change, migration and peaceful pluralism, sustainable development, and innovation. The SPA represents the new foundation upon which Canada-EU political relations are based, and the mechanism through which Canada formally engages the EU on significant issues for and in the relationship. Together with the Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA), the SPA takes Canada-EU relations to a new level of intensified and structured engagement.
The SPA text was signed by Canada and the European Union on October 30, 2016 and was subsequently approved by the European Parliament on February 15, 2017, in parallel to the CETA. It was tabled in the House of Commons of the Parliament of Canada in early 2017. Provisional application of much of the agreement began on April 1, 2017. As the SPA is a mixed competency agreement, like the CETA, all EU Member States’ national parliaments will also have to ratify it for it to come fully into force.
- 2022-11-17 – Joint Cooperation Committee report on the state of the EU-Canada relationship 2020-2022
- 2022-05-16 – Joint declaration following the third Canada-EU Joint Ministerial Committee meeting
- 2021-06-15 – 2021 Joint statement - Canada-EU Summit
- 2020-10-29 – Joint press release: Canada-EU Leaders' Virtual Meeting
- 2020-01-01 – 2020 Annual report on the state of Canada-EU relations
- 2019-07-18 – 2019 Joint declaration - Canada-EU Summit
- 2018-11-06 – Joint declaration of the Canada-EU Strategic Partnership Agreement Joint Ministerial Committee
- 2018-06-28 – 2018 Annual report on the state of the Canada-EU relations
- 2017-12-04 – Joint statement – EU and Canada: A progressive and dynamic strategic partnership
Report a problem on this page
- Date Modified: