Share your views:
Global Affairs Canada support for enhancing the vitality of Canada’s francophone and anglophone minorities, as well as the use of French, in the context of the country’s diplomatic relations
Current status: Planned
This consultation is scheduled for Thursday October 6, 2022.
For more information on how information will be collected and used, please see our Privacy statement.
Global Affairs Canada (GAC) has committed to enhancing the vitality of the English and French linguistic minority communities in Canada and fostering the full recognition and use of both English and French in Canadian society. The department is now committing to foster the use of both English and French in the conduct of Canada’s external affairs and to promote French in Canada’s diplomatic relations.
To this end, GAC’s Official Languages Program is organizing a consultation of advocacy organizations representing official language minority communities (OLMCs) across Canada. Our goal is to hear about your needs and aspirations the Canadian communities you represent.
This consultation will also be an opportunity for us to better inform OLMCs about GAC’s mandate and its various sectors of activity, as well as its current programs and services. This will strengthen our ties with Canadian society and establish new ones, enhancing our ability to serve the country at home and abroad.
This will result in improved or new positive measures in GAC’s 5 areas of activity: international trade, international development, international education, cultural diplomacy and international organizations, particularly those relating to the Canadian and global Francophonie.
How to participate
Email GAC’s Official Languages Program at officiallanguages-languesofficielles.HSEA@international.gc.ca to express your interest in participating as either a speaker or an observer. We will send you the information and documents you will need.
Who is the focus of this engagement?
We are seeking input from organizations that represent OLMCs and in that context have an interest in one or more of the following areas:
- International trade
- International development
- International education
- Cultural diplomacy
- International organizations and the global francophone community
Key questions for discussion
Below are some key questions that the government wants you to consider. You may respond to them or address other questions that you think are also relevant. While we welcome and consider all comments, we also ask that you please be as concise as possible.
- Which area of GAC’s activities best matches the interests your organization advocates for on behalf of the official language minority communities it represents? What might GAC do better in this area?
- How could GAC focus more on the country’s OLMCs to better fulfill its mandate while enhancing the vitality of Canada’s francophone minorities?
- In addition to funding programs and services, how would you like to see GAC foster the use of both English and French in the conduct of Canada’s external affairs and promote French in Canada’s diplomatic relations?
- What role can your organization play in supporting Global Affairs Canada in this regard?
Your total response should not exceed 400 words.
- Minister of Foreign Affairs mandate letter (December 16, 2021)
- English and French: Toward a substantive equality of official languages in Canada
- Introduction of the bill An Act for the Substantive Equality of Canada’s Official Languages
Please email GAC’s Official Languages Program at officiallanguages-languesofficielles.HSEA@international.gc.ca.
Report a problem on this page
- Date Modified: