Language selection


Government of Canada services and information in Stuttgart, Germany

Contact us

Services and information provided to Canadians by the Consulate of Canada to Germany, in Stuttgart.

On this page

Adoption and surrogacy

Refer to International adoption.

The Consulate of Canada cannot provide guidance regarding adoption procedures in Germany. Adoptions are under the responsibility of local German Youth Welfare offices. Surrogacy is not legally permitted in Germany.

Birth abroad

Refer to Children born outside of Canada.

If your child is born in Germany and you have submitted the required documentation, the local registrar’s office (“Standesamt”) will issue a German birth certificate. It is recommended to ask for the international version. Birth in Germany does not entitle your child to German citizenship.

Citizenship services

For many, it is now possible and recommended to apply for proof of Canadian citizenship online. Refer to Get proof of Canadian citizenship.

For those ineligible to submit your proof of citizenship application online.

Complete your proof of citizenship application and pay your fee online. Include a copy of your online payment receipt with your application. Note the following requirements before sending your documents by mail:

  • include your email address with your forms
  • enter “N/A” for any questions that do not apply to you
  • Quebec birth certificates issued after January 1, 1994 are acceptable; Quebec birth certificates issued prior to January 1994 require an updated birth certificate

For more information regarding proof of citizenship, please refer to Get proof of citizenship.

Applications can be mailed to the following address:

Embassy of Canada
Leipziger Platz 17
10117 Berlin

Payment method

Pay your application fees online.

Marriage abroad

Refer to Marriage outside Canada.

Canadians wishing to get married in Germany need a certificate from the registrar's office (“Standesamt”). Requirements for Canadians vary depending upon the couple's status in Germany and where they plan to marry.

Canadians will be asked to present a long-form birth certificate indicating your parentage. Get the long-form birth certificate from a vital statistics office of the province or territory of birth.

Canadians may also be asked for a “Ledigkeitsbescheinigung”, which is a certificate of non-impediment to marriage stating that they are single. An exact equivalent does not exist in Canada. The Consulate of Canada in Stuttgart, however, can issue a statement in lieu of certificate of non-impediment to marriage for use in Germany only. The following are required:

  • a certified copy of pages 2 and 3 of your current Canadian passport
  • a certified copy of your Canadian birth or citizenship certificate
  • a written declaration of present marital status, address in Germany and name of future spouse
  • payment of fees (see Service fees)

Instead of the “Ledigkeitsbescheinigung”, the registrar might allow Canadians to make an affirmation of single status at the “Standesamt”.

Notarial services

Canadians are encouraged to seek out local resources for notarial needs.

The Consular sections of the Consulates limit in-person services to Canadians with consular emergencies only. For further information, we encourage you to contact us by telephone or email.

The Consulate of Canada in Stuttgart offers a limited range of notarial services.

Please note: Some services are only available through the provincial vital statistics offices in Canada or through the Authentication section of Global Affairs Canada.

Apostille (replaces authentication services)

On January 11, 2024, the Apostille Convention entered into force in Canada. The Apostille facilitates the use of Canadian documents abroad, such as civil documents (marriage or birth), and certificates (divorce or name change).

While we transition to the new Apostille processes, the Consulate of Canada in Stuttgart will offer authentication services for urgent cases only. If you have an urgent situation, please contact us at to provide more information on your situation.

Non-urgent applications for Apostille received by post or by appointment at the Consular services of the Consulate of Canada in Stuttgart after January 11, 2024, will not be processed and will be returned to clients.

The following notarial services continue to be offered by the Consulate of Canada:

  • Certified copies of certain Canadian documents;
  • Witnessing a signature, affidavit, sworn statement, statutory declaration;
  • Issuing a Statement in lieu of Certificate of Non-impediment to Marriage Abroad.

Payment method

Credit card accepted. Use the credit card authorization form.

If you have questions about notarial services, please email the Consulate in Stuttgart at with scanned copies of documents prior to booking an appointment to verify if the requested service can be provided.

Details Fee (CAD)
Administering an oath or receiving a statutory declaration or affirmation. The fee shown is per document. 50.00
Authenticating (witnessing) a signature. The fee shown is per document. 50.00
Certifying a true copy of a document. The fee shown is per copy. 20.00
Issuing a Statement in lieu of Certificate of Non-impediment to Marriage Abroad. The fee shown is a minimum, per document. 30.00
Attesting any document bearing a signature (affidavit, declaration, affirmation, etc.). The fee shown is per document. 50.00

Passport services

The Consulate of Canada in Stuttgart does not offer passport services. Passport applications from Canadians anywhere in Germany can be sent to the Embassy by mail to the address below:

Embassy of Canada
Leipziger Platz 17
10117 Berlin

The Consulates in Düsseldorf and Munich, as well as the Embassy in Berlin, offer emergency, temporary and regular passport services for urgent travel. We encourage you to contact us by email at either,, or

Refer to our Services and fees section to pay online before completing your passport application from abroad.

Pensions and retirement

Refer to Benefits for Canadians living abroad and Retiring abroad.

Same-sex marriage abroad

Same sex marriages are recognized in Germany.

Studying abroad

Refer to Studying abroad and EduCanada.

Visa and immigration services

Visa and immigration services are offered at the Embassy of Canada to Austria, in Vienna.

Refer to Travel documents – Visas.

Permanent residents of Canada: Find out how to apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD).

Please note that we do not respond to applications for Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA), Study Permits, Work Permits, Visas, Permanent Resident Travel Documents, etc. Use the IRCC web form to contact the Visa Office in Vienna.

Voting abroad

Refer to Voting in an election while outside Canada.

Date Modified: