Language selection


Government of Canada services and information in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

Contact us

Services and information provided to Canadians by the Consular Agency of Canada to Mexico, in Puerto Vallarta.

Don't become a victim of fraud

Protect yourself from fraud. Follow these tips from the Embassy of Canada to Mexico.

On this page

Citizenship services

To apply for, replace or update a Canadian Citizenship Certificate, visit Immigration and citizenship for Canadians. Click on Get proof of citizenship to ensure you download the corresponding IRCC application package or form.

If you are a Canadian citizen and would like to apply for a certificate of Canadian citizenship for your child born abroad, please download form CIT0001.

Submit your application along with the following documents:

  • a copy of a document proving that one or both of the parents was a Canadian citizen when the child was born (citizenship certificate or Canadian birth certificate);
  • each parent should submit a copy of one piece of valid personal identification (i.e. a passport, driver's license or a voting card [INE]);
  • original birth certificate of the child which lists the parents (issued by government authorities in the country where the child was born), with an official and certified English or French translation, and an affidavit from the translator sworn in the presence of a notary public or a consular agent of one of our consular points of service in Mexico (by appointment only).
  • two identifications of the child (one of the identifications must contain a photo)
    For children under 7 years old, a letter from the pediatrician containing a photo is acceptable.
  • Two identical colour (printed) photos taken within the last 6 months, according to Citizenship photo specifications -
  • Application fee receipt ($75 CAD). Pay your application fees online and make sure to include your payment receipt along with your complete application when you submit it (in person or by mail).

Book an appointment (only at the Canadian Embassy in Mexico City) to present your documents in person or submit them by courier to the Consular Section at the following address:

Embajada de Canadá en México

Sección Consular (Ciudadanía)

Schiller 529, Col. Bosque de Chapultepec (Polanco) Alcaldía Miguel Hidalgo

11580 Ciudad de México, México.

Important: If you have already applied on paper to the Embassy, do not apply online for the same request. If so, IRCC will not process your online application

Note: The Consular Agency of Canada to Mexico in Puerto Vallarta will help you revise your documents/forms and ensure they are complete before you send them to the Embassy of Canada in Mexico City. If you have questions, please send us an email to

About the process

IRCC will send you an acknowledgement of receipt (AOR) letter or email to inform you that your application has been received and that it is complete. Your acknowledgement of receipt letter will include your unique client identifier (UCI) and an application number that you can use to check your application status online. Be sure to check your junk mail/spam e-mail folder to see if your letter has been sent to that mailbox.

Processing time

Please consult the IRCC website Check processing times. We are unable to provide updates by phone or email on passport or citizenship applications that have been submitted.

Useful links

Use the Am I Canadian? tool to determine your eligibility for Canadian citizenship.

See the IRCC Citizenship Help Centre for more information.

Payment method

Pay your application fees online

Make sure to include your payment receipt along with your complete application when you submit it (in person or by mail).

Details Fee (CAD) Fee (MXN)
Application for a Citizenship Certificate for adults and minors (Proof of Citizenship) 75.00 975.00
Application to Renounce Canadian Citizenship 100.00 1300.00
Replacement / Update of proof of Canadian citizenship 75.00 975.00
Application for a Search of Citizenship Records 75.00 975.00

Death abroad

What if I Die in Mexico?

Many Canadian citizens work in Mexico or have retired to live here. As death is a natural part of life, it makes sense for those living here to prepare for the possibility that they may also die here. These tips will help you, your family and friends know what to do.

Plan in advance:

  • Register for Registration of Canadians Abroad.
  • Always include an emergency contact name in your passport application form.
  • Buy life insurance and review the company’s policy about funeral arrangements. Give family and friends who may be beneficiaries of payments from your insurance or bank accounts the necessary documents and ask them to be prepared to provide identification and documents to prove your relationship.
  • Appoint a representative who will act as the main point of contact with the Mexican authorities after your death and will be in charge of your funeral arrangements, credit cards, banking, insurance, etc. Inform this person that you are appointing him or her your representative so that he or she can be prepared.
  • Make a notarized power of attorney for your representative. If he or she is not in Mexico, identify someone in Mexico who can care for your property and valuables until your representative arrives. If you choose to have the power of attorney prepared in Canada, this document must be apostilled in Canada, please refer to the website Changes to authentication services in Canada. Then, you need to translate the document into Spanish for use in Mexico.
  • Keep your original long form birth and marriage certificates where your representative will know where to find them. If they are Canadian documents, have them translated into Spanish and have them apostilled.
  • Mexican authorities often request identification documents both for the deceased and for the family member or the representative collecting the body. Your representative should be prepared to provide the necessary passports, long form birth certificates and marriage certificates.
  • Make your funeral preparations in advance, or clearly identify your wishes in your will. Some funeral homes, especially those in large expat communities, offer programs where you can pre-pay funeral services. These programs may sometimes help with post-death legal procedures as well.
  • Make your will. If you have property or bank accounts in Mexico, you should have wills in both Mexico and Canada. Make sure your representative knows where to find them.
  • When you open a bank account in Mexico, you must designate one or more beneficiaries. If you draw up a will after the bank account is opened and change your beneficiaries, it is very important to change them at the bank as well. Make sure your beneficiaries' names match those on their passports.
  • Common-law relationships and same-sex marriages might not be recognized by Mexican authorities, and not all live-in partners are considered legal next of kin. Clearly indicate in your will if your partner is to be your representative to ensure that he or she will be able to carry out your wishes without problems. If your partner is not legally accepted as your next of kin, a Canadian consular point of service in Mexico can help to notify your next of kin.

After your death:

  • In Mexico, only your legal next of kin can request interment/cremation services.
  • If your remains are to be returned to Canada, make sure that you have identified funeral homes in both Mexico and Canada. If your ashes are to be repatriated, there is no need to contact a Canadian funeral home. Mexican funeral homes will expect payment in advance and your representative should be prepared to cover these costs if you have not already done so. Depending on your wishes, it could cost up to $10,000 to repatriate your remains.
  • An autopsy may be mandatory in Mexico, depending on the circumstances of your death. If the cause of death is not natural, cremation will not be authorized by the Mexican authorities. If you die of natural causes, having a familiar doctor at hand to sign the death certificate may help.
  • The funeral home will provide your representative with one death certificate. Extra copies of the death certificate can be obtained through the funeral home for a fee. It is possible that institutions in Canada will request:
    • a certified copy of the death certificate (produced by the Mexican Civil Registry), and/or a translation from Spanish. It is therefore important that your representative obtains plenty of copies.
    • Apostille of the Mexican death certificate. This procedure can only be done in Mexico by the competent state authorities, you may wish to consult the State directory (in Spanish only).
  • Canadian consular points of service in Mexico do not provide death certificates, but can provide a list of official translators. The translation can also be done in Canada.
  • Your representative should bring your passport to a Canadian consular point of service in Mexico to be cancelled. They will return the cancelled passport to you on request. If there isn’t an office nearby, you can have this procedure done at any passport office in Canada.
  • Consular officers do not give legal advice nor can it intervene in private legal processes. To change the title or ownership of a property or settle an estate in Mexico, you should contact a local lawyer or Notaria Publica. A Canadian consular point of service in Mexico can provide a list of local lawyers.
  • If you have any concerns, we recommended that you also seek legal advice in both Canada and Mexico.

For more information on what to do if you are the next of kin or representative of a Canadian who has died outside Canada, please visit the website Death outside Canada.

Notarial services

This office provides certain notarial services (fees apply), by appointment only, to Canadian citizens and, in limited cases, to non-Canadian citizens if the documents are intended for use in Canada. Please contact us at prior to booking an appointment.

Note: Canada joined the Apostille Convention and it came into effect on January 11, 2024. The new Apostille process now replaces the authentication and/or legalization services previously available at this office.

Canadian documents for legal use in Mexico or in any country member of the Apostille Convention.

In Canada

Please consult the website Changes to authentication services in Canada to obtain information on how to apply and obtain an apostille for your Canadian document.

In Mexico

This office can only issue apostilles for certain Canadian original documents, such as long form birth certificates, marriage certificates, death certificates from any province/territory or RCMP criminal records issued in Ottawa*. A scanned copy of the document should be sent to this office at beforehand to ensure the service can be provided.
*Non-exhaustive list

Mexican documents for legal use in Canada

Canadian law does not require the authentication or apostille of foreign public documents before they can be used in Canada. However, some individuals or institutions in Canada may require it.

Mexico is also a member of the Apostille Convention. If your Mexican document was issued by federal authorities you can apply for an apostille at the Secretaría de Gobernación (in Spanish only). If your Mexican document was issued by state authorities you will need to refer to the competent state authorities, you may wish to consult the State directory (in Spanish only).

Other services

  1. Certification of Signatures/Affidavits /Sworn statement: on documents to be presented in Canada, you may need to have your signature certified by a Consular Officer. A scanned copy of the document should be sent to this office at beforehand to ensure the service can be provided.
  2. Certified copies of certain Canadian documents: a scanned copy of the document should be sent to this office at beforehand to ensure the service can be provided.

Mexican citizens that require a notarized letter for their child or children to be able to travel to Canada must go to a Mexican Public Notary. The consular section of the Embassy of Canada in Mexico is not able to provide this service.

If you still have questions, please contact us at

Payment method

  • By Visa and MasterCard credit card or international debit card. Please complete and sign the Credit Card Authorization and attach it to your service request.
  • No other form of payment (including cash or money orders) will be accepted.
Details Fee (CAD) Fee (MXN)
Administering an oath or receiving a statutory declaration or affirmation. The fee shown is per document. 50.00 650.00
Certifying a true copy of a document. The fee shown is per copy. 20.00 260.00
Uniting documents and sealing their fastening. The fee shown is per document. 30.00 390.00
Declaration of translator (preparing document, signature, uniting documents and sealing their fastening). The fee shown is per legal package. 110.00 1430.00
Declaration of translator (preparing document and signature only). The fee shown is per document. 80.00 1040.00
Declaration in lieu of guarantor 50.00 650.00
Legal signature (each signature) 50.00 650.00
Legal declaration package 80.00 1040.00
Apostille service. The fee shown is per document. 50.00 650.00

Passport services

Canadian citizens in Mexico

To obtain or renew a Canadian passport while abroad read carefully the instructions contained in passport application forms below, fill the form and gather all necessary documents you will have to provide with your application form (proof of Canadian citizenship, photos, supporting identification, etc.)

For children’s passports

  • A photocopy of an identity document of both parents (signed by the guarantor) is required along with the passport application.
  • If your child was born outside Canada, you can apply for a passport for them once they have received their Canadian citizenship certificate. See Citizenship services for more information.
  • It is possible to apply for a passport for a child born outside of Canada without a citizenship certificate if the child is under 2 years old and you have already applied for the child’s citizenship. If this situation applies to you, please send an email to to obtain further information on the additional requirements.


  1. Select and download the appropriate application form:

2. Pay your fees. You mustpay online for all your passport services.

  • Make sure to include your payment receipt along with your complete application when you submit it. Applications without proof of payment will not be accepted.

3. Submit your complete application by mail or in person.

  • By mail: You can send your application by mail to:

    Agencia Consular de Canadá en Puerto Vallarta
    Plaza Península, Local Sub F, Boulevard Francisco Medina Ascencio 2485, Zona Hotelera Norte, Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, México, 48300

Track with the courier company of your choice the status of your shipment. Our office will not respond to enquires asking about the reception of your documents. Your passport and original documents will be returned to you by DHL, Estafeta or Fedex if you live outside of Mexico City. You do not have to provide an envelope or pay extra fees for this service.

Important: Provide your complete return mailing address on a separate piece of paper along with your application and the online payment receipt.

  • In person: Book an appointment to present your documents in person. If you choose to pick up your passport in person, you will receive an email when your passport is ready. Book another appointment to pick up the documents.
    Note: Clients presenting themselves at the Embassy without an appointment to apply for a passport will not be attended.

Processing time

The processing time for a passport application is currently 20 business days, excluding holidays and postal delivery time, upon reception of a complete application*.

* Incomplete applications will be returned to sender.

Lost and stolen passports

If your valid passport is lost or stolen, send an email to with your:

  • full name
  • birth date
  • travel itinerary
  • explanation of your situation
  • police report (recommended)

Our staff will then let you know how to proceed. A PPTC 203 declaration will also be required to request a replacement of lost, stolen or inaccessible valid passport.

In some cases, it may be necessary for you to reschedule your travel plans.

Emergency passport application

If your application is urgent and you must travel in less than 20 working days, please email to give us details on your emergency.

Note: Although our offices offer travel document options for urgent cases, these are evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Having a flight ticket does not guarantee that your case will be treated as urgent.

Passports - Frequently asked questions

Payment method

Pay your application fees online.

Make sure to include your payment receipt along with your complete application when you submit it (in person or by mail).

Details Fee (CAD) Fee (MXN)
10-year adult passport (age 16 or over) 260.00 3385.00
5-year adult passport (age 16 or over) 190.00 2475.00
5-year Child passport (0-15 years of age) 100.00 1300.00
Additional fee for replacing a valid lost or stolen passport 45.00 585.00
Temporary (PPT) 110.00 1430.00
Pick up (PPT) 20.00 260.00
ETD Adult (PPT) 75.00 975.00
ETD Child (PPT) 30.00 390.00
Pay online

Studying abroad

Refer to Studying abroad and EduCanada.

Voting abroad

Refer to Voting in an election while outside Canada.

Date Modified: