Language selection


Government of Canada services and information in Panama City, Panama

Contact us

Services and information provided to Canadians by the Embassy of Canada to Panama, in Panama City.

On this page

Adoption and surrogacy

Refer to International adoption.


Central authority for adoption cases in Panama is the National Secretary of Children, Youth and Family under the Ministry of Social Development.

Adoption is possible for Panamanian and foreign adoptive parents and may be granted to married or common-law couples, opposite-sex couples or single adults who meet the requirements of the law.

Requirements and documentation for adoptions are available at:


Although surrogacy is available in Panama, there are no laws to support intended parents if something goes wrong.

Anyone pursuing reproductive assistance abroad should contact lawyers and clinics directly to confirm the current status in that country and any legal restrictions that might apply.

Birth abroad

Refer to Children born outside of Canada.

Requirements for registration of birth in Panama.

Citizenship services

Complete your citizenship application before booking an appointment to present your documents in person.

Payment method

Pay your application fees online.

Details Fee (CAD)
Application for a Citizenship Certificate for adults and minors (Proof of Citizenship) 75.00
Application to Renounce Canadian Citizenship 100.00
Replacement / Update of proof of Canadian citizenship 75.00
Application for a Search of Citizenship Records 75.00

Criminal record checks

All requests for certified criminal record checks from Canada must go through the Royal Canadian Mounted Police in Canada (RCMP). The C-216C RCMP fingerprinting form can be requested digitally at the Canadian Embassy in Panama at

The embassy/consulates of Canada have no control over the process and cannot answer questions or expedite the process.

Marriage abroad

Refer to Marriage outside Canada.

Foreigners can be married in Panama. Check all requirements and documentation.

Notarial services

The office provides the following notarial services, by appointment only, to Canadian citizens and, in limited cases, to non-Canadian citizens if the documents are intended for use in Canada. Note: Documents must be in English or French, or accompanied by an official translation in English or French.

Authentication/Attestation (certify the document signature, the position of an official and the seal are genuine):

Certified copy (certify the document is a true copy of the original):

  • Documents presented by a Canadian citizen or a non-Canadian citizen for use in Canada; exceptions apply (fees apply).
  • Government-issued identification requiring a certified true copy (fees apply).

Witness a signature (consular officer witnesses a signature):

  • Documents presented by a Canadian citizen or a non-Canadian citizen for use in Canada; exceptions apply (fees apply).
  • Government-issued identification requiring a witnessed signature (fees apply).

Note: Complete all documents before booking an appointment. Sign all documents in front of the consular officer.

Driver’s license information

Tourists visiting Panama may drive with a valid driver’s license from their home country for a period of 90 days. Legal residents must apply for a Panamanian driver’s license with Sertracen which is the entity in charge of issuing local driver’s licenses.

To request a Panamanian driver’s license:

  1. You will require a letter from the Embassy certifying the validity of the license. To obtain this, submit to the Embassy by courier or drop-off in person a sealed envelope with your valid and original Canadian driver’s license, a copy of your Canadian passport bio page and copy of Panamanian residency ID in order to issue an authentication letter. Expired licenses or notarized copies are not accepted, only the original license. Complete the Credit card authorization form and include it within your sealed envelope.
  2. The letter from the Embassy must be authenticated by local authorities. Please visit the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Panama to make an appointment and for the steps you need to follow. For more information please call + 507 504-9392/511-4045/511-4046 or email them to
  3. Obtain proof of your blood type. Please visit official site for the list of authorized laboratories
  4. At the time of your visit, you will be required to take a vision and hearing test at the Sertracen office. Additionally, you must provide:
    • Panamanian residency documents
    • original and valid passport
    • original and valid Canadian driver’s licence
    • authenticated document
    • a proof of blood type

Please visit the Sertracen website for more information about locations and complete steps to follow.

Payment method

Credit Card Payment only.

Complete the Credit card authorization form.

Details Fee (CAD)
Administering an oath or receiving a statutory declaration or affirmation. The fee shown is per document. 50.00
Attesting any document bearing a signature (affidavit, declaration, affirmation, etc.). The fee shown is per document. 50.00
Authenticating (witnessing) a signature. The fee shown is per document. 50.00
Authenticating the signature and seal of a foreign authority. The fee shown is per document. 50.00
Authenticating signatures of Canadian authorities or notaries. 50.00
Certifying a true copy of a document. The fee shown is per copy. 20.00
Authentication of a Canadian Driver License 50.00

Passport services

Refer to our Service fees section to pay online before completing your passport application.

Book an appointment to present your documents in person.

Payment method

Pay online for all your passport services.

Details Fee (CAD)
10-year adult passport (age 16 or over) 260.00
5-year adult passport (age 16 or over) 190.00
5-year Child passport (0-15 years of age) 100.00
Additional fee for replacing a valid lost or stolen passport 45.00
Pay online

Pensions and retirement

Refer to Benefits for Canadians living abroad and Retiring abroad.

Same-sex marriage abroad

Panamanian law does not allow same-sex marriages

Studying abroad

Refer to Studying abroad and EduCanada.

Visa and immigration services

Refer to Travel documents – Visas.

Permanent residents of Canada: Find out how to apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD).

Voting abroad

Refer to Voting in an election while outside Canada.

Report a problem on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, please contact us.

Date Modified: