Statement in lieu of certificate of non-impediment to marriage abroad
A certificate of non-impediment to marriage abroad” is a certificate that confirms there are no objections to a proposed marriage or civil partnership. It is sometimes required if you are planning a ceremony abroad.
Canada does not issue certificates of non-impediment. Instead, we can prepare a statement in lieu of certificate of non-impediment to marriage abroad (“in lieu of” means “instead of”.)
If you are already abroad, you may be able to obtain this document from your nearest Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate. Consular services provided at Canadian missions abroad are subject to fees under the Consular Fees (Specialized Services) Regulations.
Some countries require this document to be issued in Canada. They will not accept a document issued by a Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate abroad. If this applies to you, make sure to submit your request well in advance of your intended travel dates.
Request a statement in lieu of certificate of non-impediment to marriage abroad
- Fill out the appropriate section on the authentication request form.
- Provide a notarized declaration stating your:
- full name
- present marital status
- permanent address in Canada (P.O boxes are not accepted)
- Submit extra documents, depending on your situation(s):
- born in Canada: you must submit a certified copy of your birth certificate or passport
- widowed: you must submit a certified copy of the death certificate of your deceased spouse
- divorced: you must submit a certified copy of the divorce certificate
- born abroad: you must submit a certified copy of your Canadian citizenship certificate, permanent resident card, or passport
- Mail your documents.
Related services and information
Where to find us
Global Affairs Canada
Authentication Services Section (JLAC)
125 Sussex Drive
Ottawa, ON K1A 0G2
111 Sussex Drive
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
1st floor (Follow the signs for JLAC- Authentication Services Section)
- Date Modified: