Authentication of documents: 5. After you send your document
Coronavirus disease (COVID-19)
Closure: Due to the evolving situation regarding COVID-19, authentication services will be closed to the public until further notice. Our mail-in service will continue. Usual mail-in service standards may not apply. Your patience and understanding is appreciated.
On this page
Delivery and pick-up in person
If you have more than 15 documents:
- you will need to leave them with us
- we will contact you when they are ready
- you will need to return to pick them up
Our service standards (delivery and pick-up in person):
|Number of documents||Processing time|
|* We may ask you to pick up your documents later if we can't verify the signature right away.|
** Our business days are from Monday to Thursday. It may take longer if we can't verify the signature.
|15 or less||While you wait*|
|16 to 30||1 business day**|
|31 to 50||2 business days**|
|51 to 100||3 business days**|
|More than 100||Up to 5 business days**|
Delivery and return by mail
Our service standard (by mail): 10 business days from the date we receive your documents.
It can take longer if:
- we need to contact you with questions about your request
- we don't have a specimen (that is, an example) of the signature on file (for example, because the document is old)
We will contact you if we can't authenticate your document.
How we count processing times
We count processing times from the day when we receive your documents in our office. Processing time doesn’t include mailing time. Please plan on up to 5 business days for your documents to reach us when you send them to us by regular mail, and up to 5 business days for the documents to reach you when we return them to you.
- You must follow all our requirements and procedures. If you don't, we will return your documents by regular mail. We won't authenticate them.
- We aren't responsible for lost documents, whether shipped by regular mail or by courier.
- We can't track your documents during shipping.
We will not process your documents faster for any reason. There are no exceptions.
Check the status of your request sent by mail
If you have asked us to forward your documents to an embassy, consulate, or high commission, check the status of your documents with them first.
If you haven't received your documents back from our office after 20 business days, you can fill out the Authentication of Documents Status Request Form to request an update on the status of your request.
Related services and information
- Getting married outside Canada
- Statement in lieu of certificate of non-impediment to marriage abroad
- Check the status of your request
- Reasons we cannot authenticate your document
- If you are outside Canada
- Frequently asked questions
Where to find us
Global Affairs Canada
Authentication Services Section (JLAC)
125 Sussex Drive
Ottawa, ON K1A 0G2
111 Sussex Drive
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
1st floor (Follow the signs for JLAC- Authentication Services Section)
Hours of operation:
Open: Monday to Thursday (10 am to 12 pm and 2 pm to 3 pm ET)
Closed: Fridays, weekends, civic and statutory holidays
- Date Modified: