Language selection


Government of Canada services and information in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates

Contact us

Services and information provided to Canadians by the Embassy of Canada to the United Arab Emirates, in Abu Dhabi

On this page

Adoption and surrogacy

The Embassy of Canada is unable to advise on the legalities or the procedures for inter-country adoption. However, you will find below some information on the letter issued by Canadian missions to Canadian residents abroad who wish to adopt.

There are many Canadian citizens who live abroad and wish to adopt children in their country of residence or in a third country. Frequently, such Canadians are asked by foreign adoption authorities for a letter from a Canadian authority approving the adoption and indicating that the child will be permitted entry to Canada.

Canadian Citizens wishing to adopt need to provide the request in a letter that includes the following:

  • The name and address of the official to whom the letter you are requesting should be addressed (the Embassy or consulate will give you that name);
  • The full name and current address of the applicant(s);
  • The applicant(s)'s last province of residence in Canada (or province with closest ties).

The letter must be accompanied by:

  • Proof of Canadian citizenship (passport, birth certificate, citizenship card, etc.). Photocopies are not acceptable: originals must be seen at the mission;
  • Proof of last province of residence or proof of ties to that province (e.g., driver’s license, healthcare card, copies of income tax forms, old bills etc.) or, if the applicant has never lived in Canada, proof that his/her parent(s) had lived in the province in question would suffice); and
  • A letter from employer or spouse's employer proving extended residency outside of Canada.

Exception: previous residents of Québec must contact the officials at the Secrétariat à l’adoption internationale at (514) 873-5226 before the province can proceed with the request for the letter.

Once you submit the letter and documents to the Embassy or the Consulate, we would then send everything to Ottawa so that the file can be sent to your province which will then issue a letter.

Upon receipt of the letter from the provincial/territorial authorities, The Embassy/Consulate can issue its own letter. This process usually takes about 4-6 weeks.

It is important to note that neither the letter from the province or territory nor the letter from the mission should be considered a letter of "no objection." Rather, they are closer to letters of "no involvement."

Useful Links:

Birth abroad

Registration with the UAE authorities is mandatory. The hospital will issue a birth notification. This needs to be taken to the Ministry of Health to register the child and obtain a local birth certificate. The Ministry of Health can issue translated birth certificates into English for a fee.

Citizenship services

Complete your citizenship application before booking an appointment to submit your documents.

Payment method

Pay your application fees online.

Details Fee (CAD) Fee (AED)
Application for a Citizenship Certificate for adults and minors (Proof of Citizenship) 75.00 205.00
Application to Renounce Canadian Citizenship 100.00 275.00
Replacement / Update of proof of Canadian citizenship 75.00 205.00
Application for a Search of Citizenship Records 75.00 205.00

Marriage abroad

The Embassy of Canada doesn’t perform, witness or register marriages but is able to provide you with information on marriage procedures currently in place in the emirate of Abu Dhabi.

Marriages are legally recognized once registered at the Abu Dhabi Judicial Department (ADJD), which is the official entity responsible for issuing marriage certificates in Abu Dhabi.

As part of the marriage registration process, the ADJD will require you to submit proof that you are legally free to marry. This evidence is accepted in the form of a Statement in lieu of certificate of non-impediment to marriage abroad. Please book an appointment to have the form notarized by the embassy.

Notarial services

The office provides the following notarial services, by appointment only, to Canadian citizens and, in limited cases, to non-Canadian citizens if the documents are intended for use in Canada. Note: Documents must be in English or French, or accompanied by an official translation in English or French.

Authentication/Attestation (certify the document signature, the position of an official and the seal are genuine):

  • Documents issued in Canada must be authenticated by Global Affairs Canada in Ottawa before the office will certify the documents (fees apply).
  • Clients requiring information about authenticating documents while outside of Canada should refer to Authentication of documents.
  • Documents issued in UAE must be certified by the UAE Ministry of Foreign Affairs before the office will authenticate them.

Certified copy (certify the document is a true copy of the original):

  • Documents presented by a Canadian citizen or a non-Canadian citizen for use in Canada; exceptions apply.
  • Government-issued identification requiring a certified true copy.

Witness a signature (consular officer witnesses a signature):

  • Documents presented by a Canadian citizen or a non-Canadian citizen for use in Canada; exceptions apply.
  • Government-issued identification requiring a witnessed signature.

Note: Complete all documents before booking an appointment. Sign all documents in front of the consular officer.

Payment method

Credit card accepted. Use the credit card authorization form.

Please have valid ID for payments with credit card.

Details Fee (CAD) Fee (AED)
Administering an oath or receiving a statutory declaration or affirmation. The fee shown is per document. 50.00 140.00
Attesting any document bearing a signature (affidavit, declaration, affirmation, etc.). The fee shown is per document. 50.00 140.00
Authenticating (witnessing) a signature. The fee shown is per document. 50.00 140.00
Authenticating the signature and seal of a foreign authority. The fee shown is per document. 50.00 140.00
Certifying a true copy of a document. The fee shown is per copy. 20.00 55.00
Issuing a Statement in lieu of Certificate of Non-impediment to Marriage Abroad. The fee shown is a minimum, per document. 30.00 85.00
Certified True Copy (Canadian passport) 45.00 125.00

Passport services

Refer to our Service fees section to pay online before completing your passport application.

Book an appointment to submit your documents.

Payment method

Pay online for all your passport services.

Details Fee (CAD) Fee (AED)
10-year adult passport (age 16 or over) 260.00 720.00
5-year adult passport (age 16 or over) 190.00 525.00
5-year Child passport (0-15 years of age) 100.00 275.00
Additional fee for replacing a valid lost or stolen passport 45.00 125.00
Passport Retention during new application 45.00 125.00
Pay online

Studying abroad

Refer to Studying abroad and EduCanada.

Visa and immigration services

Refer to Travel documents – Visas.

Permanent residents of Canada: Find out how to apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD).

Voting abroad

Refer to Voting in an election while outside Canada.

Date Modified: