What does the CPTPP mean for electronic commerce?
Canada is committed to encouraging electronic commerce as a means of facilitating trade. Canada strives to create an environment of certainty for Canadian consumers and businesses that engage in electronic commerce.
The CPTPP aims to:
- facilitate economic growth and trade opportunities through electronic commerce
- encourage the protection of consumers and personal information
- enhance cooperation on global issues affecting electronic commerce
Electronic commerce and the CPTPP
Through the CPTPP, member countries have agreed to a set of rules that will facilitate economic growth and trade opportunities fostered by electronic commerce. These rules will also address the latest barriers to electronic trade.
The rules include commitments that will build trust and confidence in the use of electronic commerce, and enhance the viability of the digital economy. The rules will help businesses of all sizes by:
- facilitating the use of electronic commerce as a means of trade
- protecting users from:
- unauthorized disclosure of their personal information
- online fraudulent and deceptive commercial practices
- unsolicited commercial electronic messages, or spam
- protecting the free flow of information across borders
- ensuring that impediments to both consumers and businesses embracing this medium of trade are addressed
- preventing governments of CPTPP member countries from:
- requiring the use of local servers for data storage
- demanding access to an enterprise’s software source code
- ensuring that CPTPP member countries do not discriminate against or impose custom duties or other charges on online digital products
How the CPTPP will benefit Canadians
Commitments in Chapter 14 - Electronic Commerce address barriers that consumers and businesses trading in the electronic environment face, such as restrictions on the movement of information across borders. The commitments address barriers without compromising the protection of consumers and personal information.
The CPTPP’s chapter on electronic commerce ensures that Canadian companies, including small and medium-sized enterprises, will be able to take advantage of expanding online commercial opportunities.
- Date Modified: