Disclosure of travel and hospitality expenses: Global Affairs Canada
This section provides information on the travel and hospitality expenses incurred, on a quarterly basis, within Global Affairs Canada by:
- the Ministers;
- Ministers of State;
- their exempt staff;
- Parliamentary Secretaries; and
- senior employees at the Deputy Minister, Associate Deputy Minister and Assistant Deputy Minister levels, and Heads of Mission at equivalent levels.
The rules and principles governing travel are outlined in:
- the Guidelines for Ministers' Offices;
- the Treasury Board's Travel Directive; and
- the Special Travel Authorities.
The Government of Canada extends hospitality in accordance with the rules and principles outlined in:
- the Guidelines for Minister Offices; and
- the Treasury Board's Hospitality Policy.
This chapter ensures coordination and cost-effectiveness of official hospitality abroad and a consistent interpretation of the relevant Treasury Board directives by departments and agencies with program personnel on foreign assignment.
Official hospitality outside Canada serves to strengthen and develop bilateral relations with other countries and promote Canadian interests abroad. Customs relating to the form and offering of hospitality vary from country to country. The cost of extending hospitality can vary substantially, depending on the local customs and costs in each country. The Department regularly performs audits of missions, including activities related to the extension of hospitality and travel, and the results are posted on our website.
The information in this section will be updated every three months. Amounts include all applicable taxes.
Please note as well that information that would normally be withheld under the Access to Information Act or the Privacy Act does not appear in this section.
See travel and hospitality expenses for:
Reports on annual expenditures for travel, hospitality and conferences
As required by the Treasury Board Directive for the Management of Expenditures on Travel, Hospitality and Conferences, these reports provide information on the total annual expenditures for each of travel, hospitality and conferences for the Department of Global Affairs Canada. This information is updated annually and does not contain information withheld under the Access to Information Act or the Privacy Act.
Expenditures on travel, hospitality and conferences incurred by federal departments and agencies are related to supporting departmental mandate(s) and the government’s priorities.
The following Global Affairs Canada reports are available:
- Report on Annual Expenditures for Travel, Hospitality and Conferences 2022-2023
- Report on Annual Expenditures for Travel, Hospitality and Conferences 2021-2022
- Report on Annual Expenditures for Travel, Hospitality and Conferences 2020-2021
- Report on Annual Expenditures for Travel, Hospitality and Conferences 2019-2020
- Report on Annual Expenditures for Travel, Hospitality and Conferences 2018-2019
- Report on Annual Expenditures for Travel, Hospitality and Conferences 2017-2018
- Date Modified: