Lima Group statement on the re-election of Juan Guaidó as President of the National Assembly of Venezuela
January 6, 2020
The governments of Bolivia, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Honduras, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, and Venezuela, members of the Lima Group:
- Welcome the re-election of Juan Guaidó as President of the National Assembly of Venezuela and Interim President of Venezuela and reiterate their support for the efforts made under his leadership to achieve a peaceful solution, led by Venezuelans, aimed at restoring democracy and constitutional order in the country.
- Condemn the use of force and intimidation tactics against members of the National Assembly and reject any action aimed at undermining support for the National Assembly or its President. Today's vote by the parliamentary majority in favour of the re-election of Juan Guaidó, in accordance with the Constitution and the law, represents a rejection of the reckless actions by Nicolás Maduro's regime that sought to prevent his appointment.
- Renew the call for a prompt return to democracy in Venezuela and, in that regard, reaffirm the need to hold inclusive, free, fair and transparent general elections, conducted by a renewed and independent National Electoral Council and Supreme Court of Justice and with the presence of independent international observers.
- Reaffirm their condemnation of the systematic human rights violations committed by the illegitimate and dictatorial regime of Nicolás Maduro and urge the independent international fact-finding mission established by the United Nations Human Rights Council be sent to Venezuela immediately.
- Reiterate their concern about the worsening economic, social, humanitarian and environmental crisis in Venezuela, and of the scale of the exodus of migrants from that country; reiterate that assistance to the population must not be politicized; and urge increased international cooperation, especially financial, to help Venezuelan migrants and host countries to address this critical and unprecedented situation in the region.
- Welcome the incorporation of the Plurinational State of Bolivia into the Lima Group and appreciate the collaboration that this State will provide to the joint efforts undertaken by many countries of the region to restore democracy in Venezuela.
- Urge the international community to collaborate and work together to support the restoration of the rule of law and constitutional order in Venezuela.
Report a problem on this page
- Date Modified: