International Youth Internship Program (IYIP)
The International Youth Internship Program (IYIP) is part of the Government of Canada's Youth Employment Strategy, which provides Canadian youth with the tools and experience they need to launch successful careers.
The IYIP is designed to offer Canadian post-secondary graduates the opportunity to gain professional experience through international development work. The objective of the IYIP is to support sustainable international development initiatives proposed, in partnership with local partner organizations, by Canadian professional associations, educational institutions, non-governmental organizations and private companies.
In order to qualify, Canadian youth must be between the ages of 19 to 30, and be post-secondary graduates, graduates of a degree or diploma program in a university, college, post-secondary school of technology, post-secondary institute or a CEGEP (general and vocational college).
The Program aims to:
- provide eligible Canadian youth with international experience, skills and knowledge that will prepare them for future employment;
- increase employment opportunities by promoting awareness among Canadian organizations of the advantages of integrating young Canadian professionals into their structures and programs; and,
- provide opportunities for Canadian youth to promote Canada’s international development efforts both in Canada and abroad.
International youth internships consist of a minimum six-month period spent in a developing country working on issues such as equality between women and men, the environment, health, education, small business development, and agriculture.
In 2017, Global Affairs Canada conducted a lessons learned workshop to identify program results and areas for improvement. Participants included interns, Canadian organizations, field support staff and Global Affairs Canada employees. The workshop generated a list of best practices for Canadian organizations.
Find out more about IYIP internship opportunities through the following Canadian partner organizations:
- Bow Valley College
- Carrefour de solidarité internationale (only available in French)
- Centre de solidarité internationale du Saguenay-Lac-Saint-Jean Inc. (only available in French)
- Éducation internationale
- Mer et Monde (only available in French)
- L'AMIE (only available in French)
- Memorial University of Newfoundland
- The Canadian Bar Association
- United Nations Association in Canada
- Youth Challenge International
- Internships and Volunteer Opportunities for Canadians Abroad
- Video - ACIC IYIP Program 2016, ACIC
- Video - International Development Week 2018, Global Affairs Canada
- Video - International Youth Internship Program - Entrepreneurship in Guyana, YCI Canada
- Video – La coopération internationale au service du développement professionnel, Centre de solidarité CSI-SLSJ (only available in French)
- Video - Ontario Interns, Northern Council for Global Cooperation (NCGC)
- Video - Stéphanie a les pieds sur terre avec SUCO!, SUCO Solidarité Union Coopération (only available in French)
- Date Modified: