Language selection


Government of Canada services and information in Canberra, Australia

Contact us

Services and information provided to Canadians by the High Commission of Canada in Australia.

On this page

Adoption and surrogacy

Refer to International adoption.

Birth abroad

Refer to Children born outside of Canada.

Citizenship services

Complete your citizenship application. Present your documents in person.

If you do not have your proof of Canadian citizenship, or if you have lost your proof of Canadian citizenship, apply for a Canadian citizenship certificate. Defer your immediate travel plans if possible.

If travel plans are imminent, you may request a limited-validity travel document.

Dual citizenship

If you become an Australian citizen, you will not lose your Canadian citizenship unless you apply to renounce it.

Marriage to a Canadian citizen

Marriage to a Canadian citizen does not entitle a person to Canadian citizenship. If you wish to move to Canada with a non-Canadian spouse, the spouse must be sponsored by you. See Immigrate to Canada.

Payment method

Pay your application fees online.

Details Fee (CAD) Fee (AUD)
Application for a Citizenship Certificate for adults and minors (Proof of Citizenship) 75.00 83.00
Application to Renounce Canadian Citizenship 100.00 110.00
Replacement / Update of proof of Canadian citizenship 75.00 83.00
Application for a Search of Citizenship Records 75.00 83.00

Marriage abroad

Refer to Marriage abroad.

Notarial services

The office provides the following notarial services to Canadian citizens and, in limited cases, to non-Canadian citizens if the documents are intended for use in Canada. Note: Documents must be in English or French, or accompanied by an official translation in English or French.

Authentication/Attestation (certify the document signature, the position of an official and the seal are genuine):

Certified copy (certify the document is a true copy of the original):

  • Documents presented by a Canadian citizen or a non-Canadian citizen for use in Canada; exceptions apply (fees apply).
  • Government-issued identification requiring a certified true copy (fees apply).

Witness a signature (consular officer witnesses a signature):

  • Documents presented by a Canadian citizen or a non-Canadian citizen for use in Canada; exceptions apply (fees apply).
  • Government-issued identification requiring a witnessed signature (fees apply).

Note: Sign all documents in front of the consular officer.

Payment method

Credit card accepted. Use the credit card authorization form.

Details Fee (CAD) Fee (AUD)
Administering an oath or receiving a statutory declaration or affirmation. The fee shown is per document. 50.00 55.00
Authenticating signatures of Canadian authorities or notaries. 50.00 55.00
Issuing a Statement in lieu of Certificate of Non-impediment to Marriage Abroad. The fee shown is a minimum, per document. 30.00 33.00
Providing a Passport Canada CTC. The fee shown is per set of three copies. 45.00 50.00

Passport services

You can pay online for all your passport services before completing your passport application.

Canadians residing in or travelling in the ACT, Victoria, Tasmania, South Australia, Western Australia, Papua New Guinea, Vanuatu, Solomon Islands, New Caledonia, the Federated States of Micronesia, Marshall Islands, Nauru, Guam, Northern Marianas, or Palau should present their application to the High Commission of Canada in Australia in person or by mail. If by mail, please provide your contact details.

We are receiving a high volume of passport applications. Our current processing time is approximately 6-8 weeks for non-urgent travel requirements. We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

If your passport has been lost or stolen, you need to report it immediately to the passport issuing office, and police station, nearest you. Obtain a detailed police report. See Lost, stolen, inaccessible, damaged or found passports.

Passports - Frequently asked questions

My newborn child does not have proof of Canadian citizenship. How do I get a passport for them to travel?

Proof of Canadian citizenship is required before submitting a passport application. Consider deferring travel plans until the certificate arrives. Citizenship certificate applications are a lengthy process, so submit the application as soon as possible after the birth of your child. Check processing times at Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.

If travel plans are imminent, you may request a limited-validity travel document.

The other parent is living in another country. How do I get their signature for consent?

If one parent is living in another country, they do not need to sign the application form submitted to the High Commission or Consulate General. Their personal details, however, must be provided. The parent living abroad must contact the nearest Canadian passport issuing office to complete the “Acknowledgement/Consent to Provision of Passport Facilities for a Minor Child” form (PPTC 028). This form is to be completed and signed in the presence of the passport officer. Be sure to bring your passport to the issuing office. The form will then be faxed to our office.

The other parent is not able to sign the passport form. What can I do?

The parent or guardian submitting the application should provide copies of all legal documents pertaining to the custody of the child.

If it is not possible to get the signature of the other parent, you must provide details of the other parent, such as:

  • name
  • date of birth
  • address
  • contact telephone number(s)
  • last known contact
  • details of attempts to locate the other parent

Advise the passport officer when you submit the application that the other parent cannot be located.

Payment method

Passport fees can be paid online by credit card.

Include your proof of payment (receipt) with your application and keep a copy for your records.

**Please note: You can only pay for a 10-year passport, a 5-year passport, a child passport, or the additional fee for replacing a valid lost or stolen passport online.


We accept Visa and Master Card credit card payments. You must complete and sign the Credit Card Authorization.

Details Fee (CAD) Fee (AUD)
10-year adult passport (age 16 or over) 260.00 286.00
5-year adult passport (age 16 or over) 190.00 209.00
5-year Child passport (0-15 years of age) 100.00 110.00
Additional fee for replacing a valid lost or stolen passport 45.00 50.00
Pay online

Pensions and retirement

Refer to Retiring abroad.

Studying abroad

Refer to Studying abroad and EduCanada.

Find out if you need a study permit.

The Association for Canadian Studies in Australia and New Zealand (ACSANZ)

The Association for Canadian Studies in Australia and New Zealand (ACSANZ) is an interdisciplinary organisation that encourages interest in Canadian Studies and aims to promote greater understanding of Canada. The Association's members are academics researching and teaching about Canada in Australia and New Zealand.

ACSANZ is funded by the Government of Canada, through the International Council of Canadian Studies (ICCS). ACSANZ was formally established in 1982 and was one of the founding members of the ICCS.

ACSANZ and the Canadian High Commission in Canberra manage a range of programs and awards, which promote Canadian Studies in tertiary institutions in Australia and New Zealand. Support is given to teaching and research in a number of areas, particularly in the social sciences and humanities, and to work of a comparative nature.

ACSANZ activities include:

  • The ACSANZ biennial conference in Canadian Studies, held in even numbered years
  • Periodic regional mini-conferences, which focus on special topics
  • A refereed scholarly journal, Australasian Canadian Studies, published twice annually
  • A newsletter with information about forthcoming conferences, funding schemes, and other news, sent to all members
  • Several postgraduate research travel grants offered annually, to stimulate and support interest in Canadian Studies among potential academics

Visa and immigration services

Refer to Travel documents – Visas.

Permanent residents of Canada: Find out how to apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD).

Voting abroad

Refer to Voting in an election while outside Canada.

Date Modified: