Language selection


Government of Canada services and information in Berlin, Germany

Contact us

Services and information provided to Canadians by the Embassy of Canada to Germany, in Berlin.

On this page

Adoption and surrogacy

Refer to International adoption.

The Embassy of Canada cannot provide guidance regarding adoption procedures in Germany. Adoptions are under the responsibility of local German Youth Welfare offices. Surrogacy is not legally permitted in Germany.

Birth abroad

Refer to Children born outside of Canada.

If your child is born in Germany and you have submitted the required documentation, the local registrar’s office (“Standesamt”) will issue a German birth certificate. It is recommended to ask for the international version. Birth in Germany does not entitle your child to German citizenship.

Citizenship services

For many, it is now possible and recommended to apply for proof of Canadian citizenship online. Refer to Get proof of Canadian citizenship.

For those ineligible to submit your proof of citizenship application online:
Complete your proof of citizenship application and pay your fee online. Include a copy of your online payment receipt with your application. Note the following requirements before sending your documents by mail:

  • include your email address with your forms
  • enter “N/A” for any questions that do not apply to you
  • Quebec birth certificates issued after January 1, 1994 are acceptable; Quebec birth certificates issued prior to January 1994 require an updated birth certificate

For more information regarding proof of citizenship, please refer to Get proof of citizenship.

Application can be mailed in at:

Embassy of Canada
Leipziger Platz 17
10117 Berlin

Payment method

Pay your application fees online.

Details Fee (CAD)
Application for a Citizenship Certificate for adults and minors (Proof of Citizenship) 75.00
Application to Renounce Canadian Citizenship 100.00
Replacement / Update of proof of Canadian citizenship 75.00
Application for a Search of Citizenship Records 75.00

Marriage abroad

Refer to Marriage outside Canada.

Canadians wishing to get married in Germany need a certificate from the registrar's office (“Standesamt”). Requirements for Canadians vary depending upon the couple's status in Germany and where they plan to marry.

Canadians will be asked to present a long-form birth certificate indicating your parentage. Get the long-form birth certificate from a vital statistics office of the province or territory of birth.

Canadians may also be asked for a “Ledigkeitsbescheinigung”, which is a certificate of non-impediment to marriage stating that they are single. An exact equivalent does not exist in Canada. The Embassy of Canada in Berlin, however, can issue a statement in lieu of certificate of non-impediment to marriage for use in Germany only. The following are required:

  • a certified copy of pages 2 and 3 of your current Canadian passport
  • a certified copy of your Canadian birth or citizenship certificate
  • a written declaration of present marital status, address in Germany and name of future spouse
  • payment of fees (see Service fees)

Instead of the “Ledigkeitsbescheinigung”, the registrar might allow Canadians to make an affirmation of single status at the “Standesamt”.

Notarial services

The office provides the following notarial services, by appointment only, to Canadian citizens and, in limited cases, to non-Canadian citizens if the documents are intended for use in Canada. Note: Documents must be in English or French, or accompanied by an official translation in English or French.

Please note: Some services are only available through the provincial vital statistics offices in Canada or through the Authentication section of Global Affairs Canada.

Apostille (replaces authentication services)

On January 11, 2024, the Apostille Convention entered into force in Canada. The Apostille facilitates the use of Canadian documents abroad, such as civil documents (marriage or birth), and certificates (divorce or name change).

While we transition to the new Apostille processes, the Consular services of the Embassy of Canada in Berlin will offer authentication services for urgent cases only. If you have an urgent situation, please contact us at to provide more information on your situation.

Non-urgent applications for Apostille received by post or by appointment at the Consular services of the Embassy of Canada in Berlin after January 11, 2024, will not be processed and will be returned to clients.

The following notarial services continue to be offered by the Embassy of Canada:

  • Certified copies of certain Canadian documents;
  • Witnessing a signature, affidavit, sworn statement, statutory declaration;
  • Issuing a Statement in lieu of Certificate of Non-impediment to Marriage Abroad.

If you have questions about notarial services, email

Payment method

Credit card accepted. Use the credit card authorization form.

Details Fee (CAD)
Administering an oath or receiving a statutory declaration or affirmation. The fee shown is per document. 50.00
Authenticating (witnessing) a signature. The fee shown is per document. 50.00
Issuing a Statement in lieu of Certificate of Non-impediment to Marriage Abroad. The fee shown is a minimum, per document. 30.00
Attesting any document bearing a signature (affidavit, declaration, affirmation, etc.). The fee shown is per document. 50.00
Certifying a copy of a document. The fee shown is per copy. 20.00
Providing a Passport Canada Certified True Copy. The fee shown is per set of three copies. 45.00

Passport services

Complete your passport application and pay your fee online before booking an appointment to present your documents in person. Make sure to include your payment receipt along with your complete application when you submit it (in person or by mail). Note that we do not accept any kind of payment in person at the embassy. Before you book an appointment, please consult Ask Travel.

The standard processing time of 20 working days applies to all passport applications. It is recommended to apply for a new passport before booking any travel.

If you are not able to submit in person at the Embassy, your applications can be mailed or dropped off at:

Embassy of Canada
Leipziger Platz 17
10117 Berlin

When mailing in or dropping off an application, please ensure that your application is duly completed, original required documents are included, applicable fees have been paid online and the receipt is included in a properly sealed envelope. It is also essential that your phone number, email address, and mailing address is accurate.

Note that dual citizens require a valid Canadian passport when traveling. For more information visit Dual Canadian citizens need a valid Canadian passport.

Payment method

Pay online for all your passport services.

Details Fee (CAD)
10-year adult passport (age 16 or over) 260.00
5-year adult passport (age 16 or over) 190.00
5-year Child passport (0-15 years of age) 100.00
Additional fee for replacing a valid lost or stolen passport 45.00
Adult emergency travel document 75.00
Child emergency travel document 30.00
Temporary passport 110.00
Declaration in lieu of guarantor 50.00
Retention of a valid passport during processing of replacement application 45.00
Certified true copies of part of a passport (one to three copies) 45.00
Pay online

Pensions and retirement

Refer to Retiring abroad.

Same-sex marriage abroad

Same-sex marriages are recognized in Germany.

Studying abroad

Refer to Studying abroad and EduCanada.

Visa and immigration services

Visa and immigration services are offered at the Embassy of Canada to Austria, in Vienna.

Refer to Travel documents – Visas.

Permanent residents of Canada: Find out how to apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD).

Please note that we do not respond to applications for Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA), Study Permits, Work Permits, Visas, Permanent Resident Travel Documents, etc. Use the IRCC web form to contact the Visa Office in Vienna.

Voting abroad

Refer to Voting in an election while outside Canada.

Date Modified: