Language selection


Government of Canada services and information in New Delhi, India

Contact us

Services and information provided to Canadians by the High Commission of Canada in India.

The Consulates General of Canada in Bengaluru, Chandigarh and Mumbai are temporarily suspending in-person operations. You can obtain consular assistance and further consular information from the High Commission of Canada in New Delhi.

Consular services in person remain available at the High Commission of Canada in New Delhi.

For emergency consular assistance, call the High Commission of Canada in India, in New Delhi and follow the instructions. At any time, you may also contact the Emergency Watch and Response Centre in Ottawa.

On this page

Adoption and surrogacy

Refer to International adoption.

To adopt a child in India, you must meet the adoption requirements of the province or territory where you live as well as the adoption requirements in India. Canadians should contact the Central Adoption Resource Authority (CARA) for more information on the local process. Canadian citizens habitually residing in Canada should also contact an accredited agency in the province or territory where they reside for advice and information on how to adopt abroad.

Canadian citizens who are residents abroad are frequently asked by foreign adoption authorities to provide a letter from a Canadian authority approving the adoption and indicating that the child will be permitted entry to Canada. This letter is often referred to as a “Letter of no objection or involvement” for non-resident Canadians. To obtain this letter please contact the Consular Section at

Some adoptive parents are eligible to apply for citizenship for their adopted child, while others must first sponsor the child for permanent residence. For more information, visit Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada's Adopt a child from abroad page.


India has banned foreign commercial surrogacy.

Birth abroad

Refer to Children born outside of Canada.

The birth of any child must be registered with the local municipality authority or the district offices of the Registration of Births and Deaths in India. As a general rule, births are registered automatically by hospital staff; however, you should confirm whether this has been done. The birth certificate can usually be collected from the municipal corporation office 15 days following the registration process.

Citizenship services

Complete your citizenship application before booking an appointment to present your documents in person.

Additional Requirements:

  1. Hospital delivery records (if applicable) and pre-natal documents such as ultrasound reports and record of mother’s consultations with the medical practitioner for the duration of the pregnancy.
  2. Parent(s) Canadian passport showing the relevant entry and exit visa stamps at the time of the child’s conception.

Payment method

Pay your application fees online.

Details Fee (CAD)
Application for a Citizenship Certificate for adults and minors (Proof of Citizenship) 75.00
Application to Renounce Canadian Citizenship 100.00
Replacement / Update of proof of Canadian citizenship 75.00
Application for a Search of Citizenship Records 75.00

Marriage abroad

Refer to Marriage outside Canada.

Canadian citizens or permanent residents who wish to marry in India should contact the office of the Registrar of Marriages of their place of residence to obtain further information. Registration of marriages in India is done either under the Hindu Marriage Act (1955) or under the Special Marriage Act (1954). The Hindu Marriage Act is applicable to Hindus, Buddhists, Jains and Sikhs only. The Special Marriage Act is applicable to all persons irrespective of religion. Under this Act, conversion of religion is not required.

The Registrar of Marriages asks for a letter from the High Commission or Consulate stating that the Canadian citizen or Canadian Permanent Resident who wishes to have his/her marriage registered is free to marry. Canadian law does not require nor provide for the issuance of any certificate or other document as proof of the eligibility of a Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident to marry. As we are not in a position to issue such a document, the Consular Section issues a certificate called the “Statement in lieu of Certificate of Non-impediment to marriage” which is usually accepted by local authorities. Please book an appointment with the Consular Section to obtain this certificate. The fee is CAD 30.00.

Notarial services

The office provides the following notarial services, by appointment only, to Canadian citizens and, in limited cases, to non-Canadian citizens if the documents are intended for use in Canada. Note: Documents must be in English or French, or accompanied by an official translation in English or French.

Authentication/Attestation (certify the document signature, the position of an official and the seal are genuine):

Certified copy (certify the document is a true copy of the original):

  • Documents presented by a Canadian citizen or a non-Canadian citizen for use in Canada; exceptions apply (fees apply)
  • Government-issued identification requiring a certified true copy (fees apply).

Witness a signature (consular officer witnesses a signature):

  • Documents presented by a Canadian citizen or a non-Canadian citizen for use in Canada; exceptions apply (fees apply).
  • Government-issued identification requiring a witnessed signature (fees apply).

Note: Complete all documents before booking an appointment. Sign all documents in front of the consular officer.

Payment method

Credit Card (Visa, Mastercard) - Payments are processed in Canadian dollars. Use the credit card authorization form.


Details Fee (CAD)
Administering an oath or receiving a statutory declaration or affirmation. The fee shown is per document. 50.00
Attesting any document bearing a signature (affidavit, declaration, affirmation, etc.). The fee shown is per document. 50.00
Authenticating (witnessing) a signature. The fee shown is per document. 50.00
Authenticating the signature and seal of a foreign authority. The fee shown is per document. 50.00
Authenticating signatures of Canadian authorities or notaries. 50.00
Certifying a true copy of a document. The fee shown is per copy. 20.00
Issuing a Statement in lieu of Certificate of Non-impediment to Marriage Abroad. The fee shown is a minimum, per document. 30.00
Transfer of private or public funds from Canada or elsewhere to the mission. The fee shown is per transfer. 75.00
Providing a Passport Canada CTC. The fee shown is per set of three copies. 45.00
Legalization of Statutory Declaration in Lieu of Guarantor 50.00
Facilitation letter 50.00

Passport services

Complete your passport application and pay your fee online before booking an appointment to present your documents in person. Bring your online payment receipt to your appointment.

Applications sent by mail should be addressed to:

Consular Section
High Commission of Canada
7/8 Shanti Path, Chanakyapuri
New Delhi 110021

All new passport and children passport applications require a guarantor. Refer to guarantor requirements for more information.

To apply for a child’s passport when the child lives with a local guardian in India and both parents reside outside of India:

  • Section 2 (Information on applicant) of the application requires the details about both parents. Do not sign the declaration in this block.
  • Section 5 (Declaration of applicant) requires the details and signature of the guardian. The guardian must present personal identification with an English or French translation if originally issued in another language.
  • The passport examiner will provide a file number to the guardian who will give it to the parents.
  • The parents should visit the nearest passport office or Canadian mission to complete PPTC 028 form authorising the local guardian to apply for the child’s passport. They should also submit a written statement confirming:

"I the undersigned, (name), as the parent, custodial parent or legal guardian, authorize (name of guardian) to apply for a passport on behalf of child (name) and the passport, when it is issued, may be released to that person."

The statement must also include the reason why they are not able to apply for the child’s passport.

Lost, stolen and damaged passports

Processing times

Payment method

Pay online for all your passport services.

Details Fee (CAD)
10-year adult passport (age 16 or over) 260.00
5-year adult passport (age 16 or over) 190.00
5-year Child passport (0-15 years of age) 100.00
Additional fee for replacing a valid lost or stolen passport 45.00
Pay online

Pensions and retirement

Refer to Benefits for Canadians living abroad and Retiring abroad.

Same-sex marriage abroad

India does not recognize same-sex marriages.

Studying abroad

Refer to Studying abroad and EduCanada.

Visa and immigration services

Refer to Travel documents – Visas.

Permanent residents of Canada: Find out how to apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD).

Voting abroad

Refer to Voting in an election while outside Canada.

Date Modified: