Language selection


Government of Canada services and information in Nagoya, Japan

Contact us

Services and information provided to Canadians by the Consulate of Canada to Japan, in Nagoya.

On this page

Adoption and surrogacy

Refer to International adoption.

Surrogacy is not recognised in Japan.

Birth abroad

Refer to Children born outside of Canada.

If you are a Canadian and have had, or are planning to have, a child outside of Canada, the birth does not need to be registered in Canada. However, as proof of citizenship for a child born outside Canada, you may apply for a Certificate of Canadian Citizenship online, by mail, or in person at the Embassy of Canada to Japan.

Divorce abroad

Refer to About Divorce and Separation.

In Japan

There are several ways in which divorce procedures are carried out in Japan. You should seek legal advice on how to proceed with your divorce. A list of legal service providers and lawyers can be found at Ask Travel under General Consular Services.

You do not need to report your divorce to the Embassy. We do suggest, however, that you have a copy of your divorce certificate (rikon todoke no juri shomeisho) translated and notarized. The Embassy and Consulates do not provide translation services, but can notarize it for you.

Marriage abroad

Refer to Marriage outside Canada.

Marriages can be registered at ward or city offices throughout Japan. Canadians planning to marry in Japan should contact the ward or city office in their area of residence (or area of residence of their fiancé) for detailed information.

As part of the marriage registration process, the ward or city office will require you to submit proof that you are legally free to marry. This evidence is accepted in the form of an affidavit that you must swear in person in front of the appropriate authority, by appointment, at the Canadian Embassy or Consulates. You must bring your valid Canadian passport to the appointment. The Embassy/Consulate will provide you with a Japanese translation template for the marriage affidavit.

Once your marriage is registered with the ward or city office, you should ensure that you keep an original of the Certificate of Marriage Registration ("kon-in todoke no juri shomeisho" or 婚姻届の受理証明書) as this becomes your proof of marriage. You can contact your province or territory of residence in Canada to see if they will register your marriage and issue you a certificate.

Recognition by Canada of Marriages in Japan

Marriages that are legally performed in a foreign country are usually valid in Canada, and you do not need to register them in Canada. If you have questions about the validity of your foreign marriage, contact the Vital Statistics Office of your province or territory. Japanese immigration authorities may require evidence of this fact. The information in Marriage Overseas can attest to this fact.


Same-sex marriage abroad

Marriage regulations and rules may vary according to each municipality. Please contact your municipality to confirm policies on same-sex marriage.

Notarial services

When local service providers are unavailable, certain notarial services are provided at the Embassy and Consulates of Canada in Japan, such as administering of oaths, declarations, marriage affidavits, Land Title Act signatures, signature attestations, and certifying true copies of documents.

At the Consulate of Canada in Nagoya, notarial services are available by appointment.

As there are a number of documents that we are unable to notarize, please be sure to send us a scan of the document requiring notarization when you are making an appointment. If we are unable to notarize your document, please contact a local notary public. If the notary public is also unable to notarize the document, contact the requesting institution for further instructions.

When making a query, please provide your full name, your daytime phone number, and details of the type of service you require.

For residents of Hokkaido, Tohoku, Kansai, Chugoku, Shikoku and Okinawa, please contact the Embassy's consular section in Tokyo for information on the Signature Witness Service rendered by designated local law firms in your region.

The templates for a marriage affidavit and a translation declaration are found below.

Please use the appropriate form, complete it and bring it with you at the time of appointment. Please do not sign the document prior to your appointment, as you must do so in the presence of the signing officer. You must bring your valid passport to the appointment. Under normal circumstances, you will receive your notarized document on the spot.

Payment method

Credit card (Visa or MasterCard only; in Canadian dollars only)

For Credit card payment (both mail-in and in person), it must be accompanied by a completed Credit Card Authorization form. This form authorizes the Government of Canada to charge your credit card for payment of services.

Cash payment is not accepted.

Details Fee (CAD)
Administering an oath or receiving a statutory declaration or affirmation. The fee shown is per document. 50.00
Attesting any document bearing a signature (affidavit, declaration, affirmation, etc.). The fee shown is per document. 50.00
Authenticating (witnessing) a signature. The fee shown is per document. 50.00
Certifying a true copy of a document. The fee shown is per copy. 20.00
Marriage affidavit 50.00

Pensions and retirement

Refer to Benefits for Canadians living abroad.

For more information, see the Agreement Between Canada and Japan on Social Security.

Studying abroad

Refer to Studying abroad and EduCanada.

International scholarships

Academic networks and organizations

Useful links


Public Affairs Section (Academic Relations)

Embassy of Canada

Visa and immigration services

Visa and immigration to Canada

The Visa and Immigration section at the Embassy of Canada to Japan is closed. Services have been transferred to the Visa office in Manila, Philippines.

Permanent residents of Canada: Find out how to apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD).

Visa and immigration to Japan

Canadians who wish to receive information about Japanese visas such as procedures, fees, or processing times should consult the nearest Embassy or Consulate of Japan if you are in Canada . If you are in Japan and have questions concerning immigration and residence procedures, please contact the Immigration Services Agency of Japan.

Please also consult our Japan Travel Advice page.

Voting abroad

Refer to Voting in an election while outside Canada. Courier services arranged by the Embassy of Canada to Japan for sending voting ballots to Canada during federal general elections or by-elections is free of charge.

Date Modified: