Canada-Ukraine Free Trade Agreement modernization
On January 27, 2022, Canada and Ukraine announced the launch of negotiations for the modernization of the Canada-Ukraine Free Trade Agreement (CUFTA). CUFTA has a review clause (Article 19.2) committing the 2 countries to review the agreement within 2 years of its entry into force, with a view to expanding it to include new areas not part of the original agreement, such as investment and trade in services. The parties also explored areas not identified in the review clause, such as inclusive trade.
In July 2019, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelenskyy agreed to modernize CUFTA to create new opportunities to maximize the agreement’s benefits for Canadian workers, entrepreneurs and small and medium-sized enterprises. It will also help reinforce the rules-based international system by advancing fair, inclusive and transparent trade with Ukraine. Additionally, as part of Canada’s continued support to Ukraine following the Russian invasion and war, the modernized CUFTA will support prospects for long-term security, stability and economic recovery in Ukraine.
To that effect, Canadian and Ukrainian officials conducted negotiations from May 2022 to April 2023. On April 11, 2023, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Ukraine’s Prime Minister Denys Shmyhal signed a joint declaration announcing the substantive conclusion of CUFTA-modernization negotiations.
- Joint statement on the launch of negotiations
- Joint statement on conclusion of negotiations
- Summary of negotiated outcomes
- Report: Public consultations on the possible modernization of the Canada-Ukraine Free Trade Agreement (CUFTA)
- Notice of intent to conduct impact assessments of the modernization of the Canada-Ukraine Free Trade Agreement
- Initial Environmental Assessment of the Modernization of the Canada-Ukraine Free Trade Agreement
- Summary of Initial GBA Plus for Negotiations to Modernize the Canada-Ukraine FTA
- Canada announces strengthening of trade relations with Ukraine
- Agreement Between the Government of Canada and the Government of Ukraine for the Promotion and Protection of Investments
- Canada and Ukraine further strengthen cooperation
- Canada-Ukraine relations
Report a problem on this page
- Date Modified: