Summary of key changes made to the Guide to Canada’s Export Control List
Order amending the Export Control List (December 2018)
Please note that this is only a high-level summary of some of the main changes. Upwards of 600 similar changesto the control texts were made during export control regime meetings in 2017 and 2018, though the majority of these did not affect the scope of the controls.
Exporters wishing to review specific changes that were made to the Guide should e-mail the Export Controls Policy Division at firstname.lastname@example.org and request a pdf document that tracks all the changes that were made against the last version.
Among other additions, the updated Guide applies export controls on the following items:
- Group 1: Magnetic Random Access Memories (MRAMs), high power Discrete Microwave Transistors, electro-optic modulators, mask substrate blanks, software designed to restore microprocessors after EMP or ESD, and Read-out Integrated circuits.
- Group 2: Two explosive materials, a binder material, vessels for delivery of divers, and naval nuclear equipment.
- Group 4: Target assemblies and components for the production of tritium.
- Group 7: Prefabricated repair assemblies and components for reaction vessels and storage tanks, CWC Schedule 2 B precursor, and nucleic acid assemblers and synthesizers.
Among other deletions, the updated Guide removes export controls on the following items:
- Group 1: Robots capable of full three-dimensional image processing in real time, linear position feedback units, rotary position feedback units, technology for the development of interactive graphics, and high speed cinema recording cameras.
- Group 2: Aero engines manufactured before 1946.
- Group 4: Water-hydrogen sulphide exchange tray columns
Among other modifications, the updated Guide clarifies, either through grammatical edits or technical notes, the following controls:
- Group 1: Composite structures and laminates, materials designed for absorbing near infrared radiation, standard for ball bearings, numerically controlled machine tools, dimensional inspection or measuring systems, compound rotary tables, digital-to-analogue converters, high energy devices, signal generators, high resistivity materials, software for digital computers, information security systems, hydrophones, lasers, unmanned submersible vehicles, underwater vision systems, marine gas turbine engines, telemetry and telecommand equipment, and software for testing aero gas turbine engines.
- Group 2: Accessories designed for arms, ground vehicles and components, diesel engines for submarines, and intermodal containers for military use.
- Group 3: Irradiated fuel element decladding equipment.
- Group 6: Turbojet and turbofan engines, batch and continuous mixers, and propellant substances.
- Date Modified: