Canada Accedes to the Arms Trade Treaty
As part of Canada’s support for a stronger and more rigorous export control system, the Government deposited on June 19, 2019 its instrument of accession to the Arms Trade Treaty (ATT). Joining the ATT gives Canada an opportunity to formalize its current export control practices, while increasing the rigour and transparency of its export control regime.
Key Information and Services
- Requirements for exporting prohibited firearms
- Final report: Review of export permits to Saudi Arabia
- Statement: Canada improves terms of light armored vehicles contract, putting in place a new robust permits review process – April 9, 2020
- Questions and answers: Strengthening Canada’s export control program
- Overview of the Arms Trade Treaty regulatory implementation package
- Memorandum for Action dated October 10, 2017: Export Permit Suspension (May 7, 2018)
- Amendments to Bill C-47: Update.
- Canada prepares to join the Arms Trade Treaty: Find information related to proposed changes to Export Controls to enhance rigour and transparency and accede to the Arms Trade Treaty.
- Export and Brokering Controls Handbook: The main reference tool to assist exporters with questions about the administration of Canada's export controls (except export of logs). Includes how to obtain the necessary permits for the export or transfer of controlled items and how to comply with the requirements of the Export and Import Permits Act and its related regulations.
- A Guide to Canada’s Export Control List: Detailed list of military and strategic goods and technology that are subject to export controls, including dual-use, munitions, nuclear non-proliferation, nuclear-related dual-use, miscellaneous goods and technology, missile technology control regime, and chemical and biological weapons non-proliferation lists.
- Advisory Opinions: Find out how to apply for an advisory opinion in order to determine the control classification of your product against the Export Control List
- Export Controls Online (EXCOL): Web-based application for submitting online applications for export permits and international import and delivery verification certificates, as well as to request amendments, submit online quarterly utilization reports for military goods, and print selected permits in your office.
- Export and Import Controls System (EICS): Secure web interface and an Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) interface to support the application, approval, and processing of import/export permits. The system also features import/export quota management functionality.
- Destination Considerations: This includes the Area Control List, Export Controls to Certain Destinations, Prohibitions on Military Exports and Canadian Economic Sanctions.
Products subject to export controls include the following - further information may be obtained by selecting one of these:
- CETA origin quotas
- Dairy export thresholds
- Dog and Cat Food (CETA Origin Quotas)
- Fish and Seafood (CETA Origin Quotas)
- High-sugar Containing Products;
- Military and Strategic Goods and Technology (including cryptographic items)
- Peanut Butter
- Processed Foods (CETA Origin Quotas)
- Softwood Lumber
- Sugar and Sugar Containing Products
- Sugar Confectionery and Chocolate Preparations (CETA Origin Quotas)
- Textiles and Apparel (CETA Origin Quotas)
- Textiles and Clothing
- United States Origin Goods and Technologies
Recent Updates to Regulations and Notices
- Regulation - Order amending the Export Control List (December 2018) – April 1, 2020
- Arms Trade Treaty Regulatory Implementation Package - June 27, 2019
- Regulation - Order Amending Certain Permits Made Under the Export and Import Permits Act - April 17, 2019
- Regulation – Order amending the Export Control List - April 17, 2019
- Regulation – Order Amending the Automatic Firearms Country Control List - November 2017
- Complete list of Regulations
- Notice to Exporters No. 1003- Export of items listed on the Export Control List to Hong Kong – July 2020
- Notice to Exporters No. 999 - Requirements for exporting prohibited firearms – May 2020
- Notice to Exporters No. 992 - Export of items listed on the Export Control List to Turkey – April 2020
- Notice to Brokers No. 216 - Canada’s Brokering Controls - August 2019
- Notice to Exporters No. 217 - Export of Arms Trade Treaty Items to the United States - August 2019
- Notice to Exporters No. 212 - Amendment to the Area Control List (removal of Belarus) - June 2017
- Notice to Exporters No. 196 - Exports of items listed on the Export Control List to Iran - February 2016
- Notice to Exporters No. 194 - Dual-use Goods and Technology to Certain Destinations - August 2015
- Notice to Exporters No. 182 - Cryptography for the Development of Production of a Product - December 2014
- Notice to Exporters No. 186 - Cryptography for Use by Certain Consignee - January 2013
- Notice to Exporters No. 181 - Orders issuing General Export Permit No. 43 and General Export Permit No. 44 - May 2012
- Notice to Exporters No. 172 - Export Controls to the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea - July 14, 2010
- Complete List of Notices to Exporters
- Date Modified: