Language selection


Government of Canada services and information in Vienna, Austria

Contact us

Services and information provided to Canadians by the Embassy of Canada to Austria, in Vienna.

Embassy visits - Ukraine situation

Canadian consular clients with urgent requests due to the current situation in Ukraine do not need to make an appointment. Clients can walk in during our office hours (listed below).
Note: The Consular Section of the Embassy does not deal with visa and immigration related requests for non-Canadian citizens.
For information on visas and immigration, please visit Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada. If you still cannot find the answer, contact the Migration Section at

On this page

Adoption and surrogacy

Refer to International adoption.

Birth abroad

Refer to Children born outside of Canada.

Citizenship services

Complete your citizenship application before booking an appointment to present your documents in person.

Note: Citizenship services available for Canadians only.

Check with Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to see if you hold, or are entitled to Canadian citizenship.

To apply for proof of Citizenship, or replace your lost or stolen citizenship certificate, see Apply for a Canadian citizenship certificate. Provide the completed application, required documents and payment confirmation to the Embassy by mail, or by booking an appointment to present in person.

Request a search of citizenship records to confirm citizenship and naturalization information.

You can renounce your Canadian citizenship but you will lose all the rights and privileges of being a Canadian citizen and will have no status in Canada.

Payment method

Pay your application fees online.

Details Fee (CAD) Fee (EUR)
Application for a Citizenship Certificate for adults and minors (Proof of Citizenship) 75.00 50.00
Application to Renounce Canadian Citizenship 100.00 65.00
Replacement / Update of proof of Canadian citizenship 75.00 50.00
Application for a Search of Citizenship Records 75.00 50.00

Criminal record checks

To apply for a Canadian criminal record check, visit the RCMP website.

To have fingerprints taken in Vienna, contact Landespolizeidirektion Wien.


Landespolizeikommando Wien

Landeskriminalamt Wien Assistenzdienst 06, Rossauerlände 5 2nd floor, room 242 or 243, "Daktyloskopie", A-1090 Vienna

tel: +43(1) 313 10/37885

For more details please visit their website:

They require an online appointment:

If outside of Vienna, contact your closest local police office.

Marriage abroad

Refer to Marriage abroad. Canadian citizens who want to marry in Austria need a “Statement in lieu of certificate of non-impediment to marriage” from the consular section at the Embassy of Canada in Vienna. Book an appointment to sign the Statement in person before a consular official at the Embassy.

For further information, please contact the Civil Registry "Standesamt", the Church where the marriage is to be performed or the nearest Austrian Embassy/Consulate in Canada.

Please be advised that Canadian diplomatic and consular officers are not permitted under the law of Canada to solemnize marriages nor can they allow the solemnization of marriages in the diplomatic/consular premises.

To apply for a new Canadian birth or marriage certificate:

The issuance of birth and marriage documents falls under provincial jurisdiction in Canada. These documents cannot be issued or replaced by the Embassy of Canada. Contact the Vital Statistics office, or equivalent responsible authority, in your Canadian province or territory.

Notarial services

The office provides the following notarial services, by appointment only, to Canadian citizens and, in limited cases, to non-Canadian citizens if the documents are intended for use in Canada. Note: Documents must be in English or French, or accompanied by an official translation in English or French.

The Embassy cannot provide advice in private legal matters. Find a list of Austrian lawyers at Ask Travel.

Authentication/Attestation (certify the document signature, the position of an official and the seal are genuine):

    • For faster service, the Austrian Embassy in Ottawa can contact Global Affairs Canada on your behalf for the first step of the legalization process. There is an additional cost for this service. In this case, you would send your documents to the Austrian Embassy in Ottawa.

Certified copy (certify the document is a true copy of the original):

  • Documents presented by a Canadian citizen or a non-Canadian citizen for use in Canada; exceptions apply (fees apply).
  • Government-issued identification requiring a certified true copy (fees apply).

Witness a signature (consular officer witnesses a signature):

  • Documents presented by a Canadian citizen or a non-Canadian citizen for use in Canada; exceptions apply (fees apply).
  • Government-issued identification requiring a witnessed signature (fees apply).

Note: Complete all documents before booking an appointment. Sign all documents in front of the consular officer.

Payment method

Acceptable credit cards: Visa and Mastercard

Details Fee (CAD) Fee (EUR)
Administering an oath or receiving a statutory declaration or affirmation. The fee shown is per document. 50.00 35.00
Attesting any document bearing a signature (affidavit, declaration, affirmation, etc.). The fee shown is per document. 50.00 35.00
Authenticating (witnessing) a signature. The fee shown is per document. 50.00 35.00
Authenticating the signature and seal of a foreign authority. The fee shown is per document. 50.00 35.00
Authenticating signatures of Canadian authorities or notaries. 50.00 35.00
Certifying a true copy of a document. The fee shown is per copy. 20.00 15.00
Issuing a Statement in lieu of Certificate of Non-impediment to Marriage Abroad. The fee shown is a minimum, per document. 30.00 20.00

Passport services

You can pay online for all your passport services before completing your passport application.

Book an appointment to present your documents in person.

Payment method

Pay online for all your passport services.

Details Fee (CAD) Fee (EUR)
10-year adult passport (age 16 or over) 260.00 170.00
5-year adult passport (age 16 or over) 190.00 125.00
5-year Child passport (0-15 years of age) 100.00 65.00
Additional fee for replacing a valid lost or stolen passport 45.00 30.00
Pay online

Pensions and retirement

Refer to Retiring abroad.

The Embassy cannot assist with pension and tax-related issues.

Contact Employment and Social Development Canada for pension-related questions.

Contact Canada Revenue Agency for tax-related issues.

Same-sex marriage abroad

Same-sex marriage is legal in Austria.

Studying abroad

Refer to Studying abroad and EduCanada.

Visa and immigration services

Visa, residence and work permit issues in Vienna fall under the responsibility and jurisdiction of the Magistratsabteilung 35 in Vienna (in German).

Voting abroad

Refer to Voting in an election while outside Canada.

Date Modified: