Language selection


Government of Canada services and information in Tokyo, Japan

Contact us

Services and information provided to Canadians by the Embassy of Canada to Japan, in Tokyo.

COVID-19: Travel guidance

All travellers, regardless of citizenship, must meet specific requirements when coming to Canada. For information on COVID-19 and travel, visit COVID-19: Travel, testing, quarantine and borders.

Embassy visitor security measures

  • Visitor access requires photo identification
  • Visitors, and their belongings, must pass through a security screening (metal detector/x-ray machine)
  • COVID-19 preventative measures are in place:
    • the number of visitors is limited
    • mask wearing, sanitising and social distancing must be adhered to

On this page

Adoption and surrogacy

Refer to International adoption.

Surrogacy is not recognised in Japan.

Birth abroad

Refer to Birth abroad.

You are not obliged to register the birth of a baby born abroad. However, you may apply for a Certificate of Canadian Citizenship as proof of citizenship for a child born outside Canada.

Citizenship services

Complete your citizenship application before booking an appointment. Present yourself at the reception window on the 4th floor lobby.

Pay your application fees online before you apply for citizenship services.

Any document that is not in English or French must be accompanied by:

  • the English or French translation, and
  • an affidavit from the person who completed the translation

Dual nationality

Canada permits dual or multiple nationality. However, in accordance with Japanese law, a Japanese citizen having a foreign nationality shall choose either of the nationalities before he or she reaches 22 years of age (or within 2 years of acquisition of the second nationality if acquisition took place after the age of 20). Please see the website of the Ministry of Justice of Japan for further details.

Return of citizenship certificates by mail

You are required to provide a self-addressed LetterPack PLUS envelope to return your original documents to you if you send in your application by post.

LetterPack Plus is a prepaid envelope used to return your documents by express post that can also be tracked. LetterPack Plus is available at any Japan Post Office and most convenience stores.

You will be contacted when your citizenship certificate is ready. You will be asked to send another LetterPack PLUS envelope in order for the certificate to be returned to you, or come pick it up in person if you prefer.

Note: If you want your original documents to be returned by post, but do not include a LetterPack Plus envelope, we will return them to you cash on delivery. The Embassy is not responsible for delivery times.

Payment method

You can pay online for all your citizenship services before submitting your application. Please include a copy of your receipt with your application.

If in person/by mail:

Credit card (Visa or MasterCard only; in Canadian dollars only)

For Credit card payment (both mail-in and in person), it must be accompanied by a completed Credit Card Authorization form. This form authorizes the Government of Canada to charge your credit card for payment of services.

Cash payment is not accepted.

Details Fee (CAD)
Application for a Citizenship Certificate for adults and minors (Proof of Citizenship) 75.00
Application to Renounce Canadian Citizenship 100.00
Replacement / Update of proof of Canadian citizenship 75.00
Application for a Search of Citizenship Records 75.00

Criminal record checks

All requests for obtaining a certified criminal record check from Canada must go through the Royal Canadian Mounted Police in Canada (RCMP). The Embassy/Consulates of Canada have no control over the process, and cannot answer questions or expedite the process.

Please follow the RCMP’s steps for getting a certified criminal record check.

To have your fingerprints taken, you must bring the following items to the Japanese police headquarters in your prefecture of residence (call ahead to check their office hours), or a fingerprinting agency registered with the RCMP:

  • an RCMP fingerprint form*
  • Valid passport
  • Resident card
  • a document from the entity requiring the criminal record check explaining why it is needed

*To obtain an RCMP fingerprint form, as well as a letter addressed to the RCMP for fingerprints sent from Japan, please contact us by email at

You will be required to submit the completed form to a local fingerprinting agency accredited with the RCMP.

Divorce abroad

Refer to About Divorce and Separation.

In Japan

There are several ways in which divorce procedures are carried out in Japan. You should seek legal advice on how to proceed with your divorce. A list of legal service providers and lawyers can be found at Ask Travel under General Consular Services.

You do not need to report your divorce to the Embassy. We do suggest, however, that you have a copy of your divorce certificate (rikon todoke no juri shomeisho) translated and notarized as required.

Marriage abroad

Refer to Marriage abroad.

Marriages can be registered at ward or city offices throughout Japan. Canadians planning to marry in Japan should contact the ward or city office in their area of residence (or area of residence of their fiancé) for detailed information.

As part of the marriage registration process, the ward or city office will require you to submit proof that you are legally free to marry. This evidence is accepted in the form of an affidavit that you must swear in person in front of the appropriate authority, by appointment, at the Canadian Embassy or Consulates. You must bring your valid Canadian passport to the appointment. The Embassy/Consulate will provide you with a Japanese translation template for the marriage affidavit.

Once your marriage is registered with the ward or city office, you should ensure that you keep an original of the Certificate of Marriage Registration ("kon-in todoke no juri shomeisho" or 婚姻届の受理証明書) as this becomes your proof of marriage. You can contact your province or territory of residence in Canada to see if they will register your marriage and issue you a certificate.

Recognition by Canada of marriages in Japan

Marriages that are legally performed in a foreign country are usually valid in Canada, and you do not need to register them in Canada. If you have questions about the validity of your foreign marriage, contact the Vital Statistics Office of your province or territory. Japanese immigration authorities may require evidence of this fact. The information in Marriage Overseas can attest to this fact.


Same-sex marriage abroad

Marriage regulations and rules may vary according to each municipality. Please contact your municipality to confirm policies on same-sex marriage.

Notarial services

When local service providers are unavailable, certain notarial services are provided at the Embassy and Consulates of Canada in Japan, by appointment, such as administering of oaths, declarations, marriage affidavits, Land Title Act signatures, signature attestations, and certifying true copies of documents.

Note: Appointments are mandatory for all notary services. Walk-in clients cannot be accommodated.

As there are a number of documents that we are unable to notarize, please be sure to send us a scan of the document requiring notarization when you are making an appointment. If we are unable to notarize your document, please contact a local notary public. If the notary public is also unable to notarize the document, contact the requesting institution for further instructions.

When making a query, please provide your full name, your daytime phone number, and details of the type of service you require.

For residents of Hokkaido, Tohoku, Kansai, Chugoku, Shikoku and Okinawa, please contact the Embassy's consular section in Tokyo for information on the Signature Witness Service rendered by designated local law firms in your region.

The templates for a marriage affidavit and a translation declaration are found below.

Please use the appropriate form, complete it and bring it with you at the time of appointment. Please do not sign the document prior to your appointment, as you must do so in the presence of the signing officer. You must bring your valid passport to the appointment. Under normal circumstances, you will receive your notarized document on the spot.

If you require authentication of documents, please refer to Global Affairs Canada - Authentication of documents.

Payment method

Credit card (Visa or MasterCard only; in Canadian dollars only)

For Credit card payment (both mail-in and in person), it must be accompanied by a completed Credit Card Authorization form. This form authorizes the Government of Canada to charge your credit card for payment of services.

Cash payment is not accepted.

Details Fee (CAD)
Administering an oath or receiving a statutory declaration or affirmation. The fee shown is per document. 50.00
Attesting any document bearing a signature (affidavit, declaration, affirmation, etc.). The fee shown is per document. 50.00
Authenticating (witnessing) a signature. The fee shown is per document. 50.00
Authenticating signatures of Canadian authorities or notaries. 50.00
Certifying a true copy of a document. The fee shown is per copy. 20.00
Uniting documents and sealing their fastening. The fee shown is per document. 30.00
Transfer of private or public funds from Canada or elsewhere to the mission. The fee shown is per transfer. 75.00
Marriage affidavit 50.00

Passport services

Report a lost or stolen passport

Adult passports

  1. Find out if you can renew your passport with simplified renewal
  2. If not eligible for simplified renewal, follow the steps to apply for a new passport
  3. Pay your fees online
  4. Applications should be submitted by mail or courier to the Embassy of Canada to Japan.

Child passports

  1. Follow the steps to apply for a child's passport
  2. If there is no guarantor, contact us at, and we will provide a Statutory Declaration in Lieu of Guarantor form for you to complete (notarial fee applicable).
    • The Canadian parent can be guarantor for a child passport application if the other (non-Canadian) parent acts as applicant.
  3. Pay your fees online
  4. Applications should be submitted by mail or courier to the Embassy of Canada to Japan.

Processing time

Check passport and travel document service standards

If you need a passport urgently, present your proof of travel or proof of residency requirement when you submit your application.

Opening hours for in-person passport services at the Embassy of Canada in Tokyo: 09:30-12:00 (Monday to Friday).

Payment method

You can pay online for all your passport services before submitting your application.

If in person/by mail:

Credit card (Visa or MasterCard only; in Canadian dollars only)

For Credit card payment (both mail-in and in person), it must be accompanied by a completed Credit Card Authorization form. This form authorizes the Government of Canada to charge your credit card for payment of services.

Cash payment is not accepted.

Passport applications and fees must be submitted to the Embassy of Canada in Tokyo.

Details Fee (CAD)
10-year adult passport (age 16 or over) 260.00
5-year adult passport (age 16 or over) 190.00
5-year Child passport (0-15 years of age) 100.00
Additional fee for replacing a valid lost or stolen passport 45.00
Certified true copy of part of a passport or other travel document (one to three copies. Additional 45 $CAN will apply for each increment of 3 copies) 45.00
Adult or child temporary passport (in addition to regular passport application) 110.00
Adult emergency travel document (For return to Canada) 75.00
Child emergency travel document (For return to Canada) 30.00
Statutory Declaration in lieu of guarantor (form PPTC132) 50.00
Retention of a valid passport (during the processing of the application for a replacement passport) 45.00
Temporary passport exchange in person in Canada 20.00
Pay online

Pensions and retirement

Refer to Benefits for Canadians living abroad.

For more information, see the Agreement Between Canada and Japan on Social Security.

Studying abroad

Refer to Studying abroad and EduCanada.

International scholarships

Academic networks and organizations

Useful links


Public Affairs Section (Academic Relations)

Embassy of Canada

Visa and immigration services

Visa and immigration to Canada

The Visa and Immigration section at the Embassy of Canada to Japan is closed. Services have been transferred to the Visa office in Manila, Philippines.

Permanent residents of Canada: Find out how to apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD).

Visa and immigration to Japan

Canadians who wish to receive information about Japanese visas such as procedures, fees, or processing times should consult the nearest Embassy or Consulate of Japan if you are in Canada. If you are in Japan and have questions concerning immigration and residence procedures, please contact the Immigration Services Agency of Japan.

Please also consult our Japan Travel Advice page.

Voting abroad

Refer to Voting in an election while outside Canada. Courier services arranged by the Embassy of Canada to Japan for sending voting ballots to Canada during federal general elections or by-elections is free of charge.

Report a problem on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, please contact us.

Date Modified: