On this page
Canada enjoys excellent relations with Malta based on a shared commitment to democratic values. Our countries share similar views and positions in the UN, and the Commonwealth. Canada’s relations with Malta are managed by the Embassy of Canada to Italy, in Rome, supported by an Honorary Consul in Valletta. Malta’s High Commission to Canada is in Washington. Malta has a Consulate General in Toronto and Honorary Consuls in Montreal, Ottawa, St. John’s, and Vancouver.
Trade links between Canada and Malta are still relatively modest with two-way trade of almost $413.7 million. Malta has expressed clear support for enhanced trade relations between Canada and the EU and CETA ratification and implementation.
Malta played a key role in facilitating the evacuation of Canadians during the Libya evacuation operation in March 2011.
Partnerships and organizations
To develop effective responses to today’s most pressing global challenges, Canada and Malta work closely in multilateral fora, such as:
- International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO)
- International Criminal Court (ICC)
- Open Government Partnership (OGP)
- Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE)
- United Nations (UN)
- United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO)
- World Trade Organization (WTO)
- Date Modified: