Language selection


Government of Canada services and information in London, United Kingdom

Contact us

Services and information provided to Canadians by the High Commission of Canada to the United Kingdom, in London.

COVID-19: Travel guidance

All travellers, regardless of citizenship, must meet specific requirements when coming to Canada. For information on COVID-19 and travel, visit COVID-19: Travel, testing, quarantine and borders.

Emergency consular assistance

Canadian citizens in the UK in need of emergency consular assistance weekdays between 8:30am and 5:00pm:

  • Contact us by email at
    • We advise against presenting in person without contacting us in advance.
  • If you have no access to email, leave a voicemail with your full name and phone number at +44 (0) 207 004 6000 (international call from a Canadian number).
    • Follow the prompts for “Services to Canadian citizens”, then “Emergency situation involving a Canadian”. We will reply by the next business day.

Outside of business hours, see Request emergency assistance.

On this page

Adoption and surrogacy

Refer to International adoption.

Surrogacy is legal in the United Kingdom.

Birth abroad

Refer to Birth abroad.

If your child is born outside of Canada, you do not need to register the birth in Canada.

Canadian birth certificates are available from the Vital Statistics authorities in the province or territory in which the event occurred.

The General Registrar Office provides birth, death and marriage certificates in England and Wales.

Child abduction

Refer to Child abduction and parenting or custody issues.

Reunite is the leading UK charity specialising in international parental child abduction. It provides advice, information and support to parents, family members and guardians, who have had a child abducted or who fear child abduction.

For information on legal advice refer to Legal matters.

Citizenship services

In some cases, it is now possible to apply for proof of Canadian citizenship online. Refer to Get proof of Canadian citizenship.

For those ineligible to submit your proof of citizenship application online:

Complete your proof of citizenship application and pay your fee online. Include a copy of your online payment receipt with your application. Note the following requirements before sending your documents by mail or placing them in our drop-off box at the Cockspur Street entrance of Canada House:

  • include your email address with your forms
  • enter “N/A” for any questions that do not apply to you
  • urgent application processing is available for special cases
  • Quebec birth certificates issued after January 1, 1994 are acceptable; Quebec birth certificates issued prior to January 1994 require an updated birth certificate

Applications can take up to 4 weeks to review before sending to Canada for processing. You will receive a notification when we send it to Canada. We will also return your original supporting documents at that time. Check processing times of your application online. Routine applications can take in excess of 18 months.

For information on dual citizenship, see: Travelling as a dual citizen.

Canadian birth certificates are available from the Vital Statistics authorities in the province or territory in which the event occurred.

Payment method

Pay your application fees online.

Details Fee (CAD) Fee (GBP)
Application for a Citizenship Certificate for adults and minors (Proof of Citizenship) 75.00 43.00
Application to Renounce Canadian Citizenship 100.00 58.00
Replacement / Update of proof of Canadian citizenship 75.00 43.00
Application for a Search of Citizenship Records 75.00 43.00

Criminal record checks

If you are currently living in the UK and require a criminal record check to cover time spent living in Canada:

Criminal record check with fingerprints

If you are asked for a criminal record check based on fingerprints, you must have your fingerprints taken in the UK. You will also need to hire a Canadian company to digitize and forward them to the RCMP on your behalf. Refer to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) instructions. No application form is available from the RCMP. The organization you use to digitize and forward your fingerprints to the RCMP will provide you with a form. See accredited fingerprint companies.

In London you can arrange to have your fingerprints taken at Scotland Yard. Appointments may be made through the Metropolitan Police website. Outside London, please contact the regional police headquarters for your area.

Criminal record check without fingerprints

If you are asked for a criminal record check that is only based on your name and date of birth, contact local police in the area where you last resided in Canada and follow their instructions.

An internet search will provide details of private companies in Canada which assist in obtaining police certificates based on your name and date of birth.

Note: The High Commission of Canada to the UK cannot authenticate or confirm the contents of criminal record checks, other than certificates issued by the RCMP and based on fingerprints.

Death abroad

Refer to Death abroad. Also refer to the UK’s Register the death.

See also UK What to do when someone dies: step by step.

Find information on obtaining a UK death certificate.

Canadian death certificates are available from the Vital Statistics authorities in the province or territory in which the event occurred.

See also Pensions and retirement.

Send the deceased’s Canadian passport to the Passport Section of the High Commission by email at Indicate if you would like the passport cancelled and returned as a keepsake.

Divorce abroad

Find information on Canadian divorce and separation.

To get a divorce certificate, but you are unsure where your divorce was filed, consult Canadian Central Registry of Divorce Proceedings.

Legal matters

The High Commission of Canada cannot provide legal advice, however the following may be of assistance:

Law Society

Legal Aid

Citizens Advice Bureau

See Ask Travel under General Consular Services for a list of lawyers in the London area.

Marriage abroad

Refer to Marriage outside Canada.

Canadian marriage certificates are available from the Vital Statistics authorities in the province or territory in which the event occurred.

Notarial services

The High Commission of Canada in London provides the following notarial services to Canadian citizens only if they are not available through a local solicitor or notary public.

Please send requests for notarial services by mail for the attention of the Consular Section marked “Notarial Services”, to:

High Commission of Canada

Canada House

Trafalgar Square

Consular Services

London, SW1Y 5BJ


Services available (if no local alternative):

  • provision of certified copies of original documents
  • witnessing a signature on an oath, affidavit or statutory declaration
  • provision of a statement confirming that Canada does not provide certificates of no impediment to marriage
  • authentication of certain Canadian documents


If your document is for use in a foreign country, it is incumbent on you to verify acceptable methods of authentication with the receiving authority. Canada does not apply apostilles to documents. Instead a stamp is applied verifying the signature appearing on the document.

Global Affairs Canada (GAC) offers an authentication of documents service whereby the signature on a Canadian document is authenticated and the documented forwarded to the relevant foreign embassy in Ottawa. That Embassy will in turn authenticate the signature of the GAC signing officer. This is the official authentication route in cases where a Canadian document is to be presented in a foreign country.

The High Commission of Canada in London can authenticate certain Canadian documents such as long form birth certificates and marriage certificates, however embassies and authorities in foreign counties may not recognise a document authenticated by the High Commission. Clients will need to establish whether this method of authentication is acceptable for their purposes.

A scan of the document should be sent to the Consular Section by email at in advance of mailing to the High Commission, for confirmation that we can assist.

The UK Legalisation Office can legalise some UK documents, however it does not authenticate signatures of officers of the High Commission of Canada.

Wills, probate and estates

Records of wills and estates are a provincial / territorial responsibility in Canada.

To access these records, contact the appropriate provincial or territorial authority.

Payment method

Credit card accepted. Use the credit card authorization form.

UK postal orders must be in GBP and made payable to the High Commission of Canada.

Bank drafts must be in GBP, made payable to the High Commission of Canada. They can be made in CAD, but only if drawn from a Canadian bank.

Fees are subject to change without notice due to currency fluctuation.

Details Fee (CAD) Fee (GBP)
Authenticating (witnessing) a signature. The fee shown is per document. 50.00 29.00
Produce a certified copy of an original document 20.00 12.00
Witness a person’s signature on a document 50.00 29.00
Provide a statement re “no impediment to marriage” 30.00 17.00

Passport services

Refer to Canadian passports and travel documents. Pages cannot be added to your passport. You’ll need to apply for a new passport.

Complete your passport application and pay your fee online. Include a copy of your online payment receipt. You can combine multiple family applications in the same envelope. Attach photos and identification with a paper clip to each application. Passports sent in one envelope will be returned together in one envelope along with all original documentation. Previous passports are returned if indicated in your renewal application (section 2).

Submit passport applications to the High Commission by mail or in person at the drop-off box. We do not send receipt confirmations. We will only contact you if additional information is required. Current processing times for passports are approximately 8 weeks. Passports are printed in Canada, and we cannot expedite the process.

Send by mail (we recommend a traceable method since we are unable to confirm receipt of applications):

  • Special delivery – track your envelope at all times by using the Royal Mail Track and Trace service
  • Recorded delivery – trace your envelope once it’s delivered using the 13-character reference number
  • 1st or 2nd class delivery – no tracing available

Mailing address:

High Commission of Canada

Canada House

Trafalgar Square

Consular Services

London, SW1Y 5BJ

Place in drop-off box:

  • located at the Cockspur Street entrance of Canada House (Trafalgar Square)

Email for urgent travel requirements. Enter “Urgent – Travel date (indicate the date)” in the subject line. Include the following information in your email:

  • full name as it appears on the application form
  • date of birth
  • Royal Mail tracking number (if applicable)
  • daytime telephone number

Dual Canadian citizens require a valid Canadian passport to travel to Canada.

Report a lost or stolen passport.

Stamps and visas

It is the responsibility of Canadian citizens residing in the UK to contact UK authorities to get the correct stamps in their Canadian passports showing they have a right to live and work in the UK.

If you are applying to replace your passport, the old passport will be cancelled and can be returned to you if requested on the application form. We are unable to transfer existing visas from the old passport into the new one. It is your responsibility to verify with the UK authorities as to the validity of the visa contained in your old passport and, if required, to make arrangements to have it added to your new passport.

Email passport questions to only if an answer is not available on this website and cannot be found in the Passport Help Centre.

Payment method

Pay online for all your passport services.

Details Fee (CAD) Fee (GBP)
10-year adult passport (age 16 or over) 260.00 150.00
5-year adult passport (age 16 or over) 190.00 110.00
5-year Child passport (0-15 years of age) 100.00 58.00
Additional fee for replacing a valid lost or stolen passport 45.00 26.00
Pay online

Pensions and retirement

Refer to Benefits for Canadians living abroad.

Canadian residents in the UK will receive their Canada pension, Old Age Security and Québec pension in pounds sterling by direct deposit.

Information about veterans’ services is available from the Veterans Affairs Office of the Canadian High Commission in London by calling 020 7004 6075. Refer to Veterans Affairs Canada for additional information.

Refer to Cancel Old Age Security and Canada Pension Plan benefits if someone has passed away.

Should you require assistance to cancel public pension benefits, please provide the requested information and a scanned copy of the death certificate to the Consular Section by email at

The estate/relatives of the deceased may be entitled to benefits following the death.

Same-sex marriage abroad

Same sex marriages are legal. Refer to Marriages and civil partnerships in England and Wales.

Studying abroad

Refer to Studying abroad and EduCanada.

Studying in the UK

If you are a Canadian interested in higher education in the UK, consult:

For general advice on fees and funding, immigration and visas:

Visa and immigration services

Refer to Travel documents – Visas.

Advice on UK entry and visas is not available from the High Commission of Canada in London. For information see Visas and immigration at GOV.UK.


Permanent residents of Canada: Find out how to apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD).

Canadian citizens are responsible for obtaining the correct stamps in their Canadian passports from UK authorities. The stamps show their right to live and work in the UK.

Voting abroad

Refer to Voting in an election while outside Canada.

You can also request a voting registration application for a Canadian federal election from the High Commission by email at

Report a problem on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, please contact us.

Date Modified: