CPTPP: Other Dairy TRQ - Serial No. 1003
Date: October 1, 2020
This Notice replaces Notice to Importers No. 959 dated October 1, 2019, and sets out the policies and practices pertaining to the administration of Canada’s tariff rate quota (TRQ) for other dairy under the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership (CPTPP).
This Notice is provided pursuant to the authority of the Export and Import Permits Act (EIPA) and its corresponding regulations, and remains in effect until further notice.
Table of contents
Other dairy means a product that is included in Items 121, 126, 127, 128, 128.1, 129, 131 and 140 of the Import Control List (ICL), namely other dairy falling under tariff items 1517.90.21, 1901.20.11, 1901.20.21, 1901.90.33, 1901.90.53, 2106.90.31, 2106.90.33, 2106.90.93 and 2309.90.31 in the list of tariff provisions set out in the Schedule to the Customs Tariff.
See the List of EIPA commodity codes for other dairy.
2. Allocation policy
- To be eligible, you must be active in the Canadian other dairy industry at the time of application, and must remain active regularly during the quota year.
- Note: You must, in addition, have been active regularly in the other dairy industry during the reference period.
- Individual applicants and related persons applicants are eligible for only one allocation.
- Note: All applicants must provide a list of related persons.
- Note: In the case of separate applications from related persons involving a parent company and one or more subsidiaries, only the application nominated by the parent company is considered.
- You must specify in your application the minimum quantity of quota you will accept. If your calculated market share allocation is less than 20,000 kg, you are issued an allocation only if the quantity you have specified in your application is equal to or lower than your calculated market share allocation.
3. Eligibility criteria
You are eligible to apply for an allocation if you are a:
- that manufactures other dairy in your own provincially-licensed or federally-registered facility.
- that uses other dairy in your manufacturing operations and product formulation.
- that buys other dairy and re-sells it to other businesses.
- Note: Companies that procure or sell other dairy on behalf of others without taking ownership of or financial responsibility for the product are not eligible to apply for an allocation.
- Note: Retailers are not eligible to apply for an allocation. A retailer is an establishment that is primarily engaged in retailing food, and which buys other dairy and sells it directly to final consumers.
4. Calculation of allocations
- 80% is allocated to processors on a market share basis based on the kilograms of other dairy manufactured by the processor during the reference period.
- 10% is allocated to further processors on a market share basis based on the kilograms of other dairy used by the further processor, in the manufacturing of further processed food products during the reference period.
- 10% is allocated to distributors on an equal share basis.
5. Transfer, return and under-utilization of allocations
- If you wish to transfer any portion of your allocation, you must submit a transfer request form.
- Note: If you transfer any portion of your allocation, you are not eligible to receive transfers from other allocation holders during the year. If you receive a transfer, you not eligible to transfer any portion of your allocation.
- You may return any portion of your allocation to the Department in writing by the prescribed return date.
- Note: Returned quantities will normally be made available seven days after the return date to eligible allocation holders, who have not returned any portion of their allocation, in proportion to their initial allocation, or on demand if quantities still remain after the first offer.
- If you use less than 95% of your allocation in one year, you may have your initial allocation adjusted downward by an under-utilization penalty in the following year.
- Note: Any portion of your allocation that you transfer or return in accordance with the present policy is considered to have been used.
6. Related links
- General Information on the Administration of TRQs for Supply-Managed Products
- Key dates and access quantities
- Information concerning related persons
- How to apply for an allocation
- How to apply for an import permit
- Allocation transfer request form
- Contact us
Report a problem on this page
- Date Modified: