Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
CPTPP: Powdered Buttermilk TRQ - Serial No. 960
Date: October 1, 2019
This Notice replaces Notice to Importers No. 929 dated November 26, 2018, and sets out the policies and practices pertaining to the administration of Canada’s tariff rate quota (TRQ) for powdered buttermilk under the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership (CPTPP).
This Notice is provided pursuant to the authority of the Export and Import Permits Act (EIPA) and its corresponding regulations, and remains in effect until further notice.
Powdered buttermilk means a product that is listed as item 123 on the Import Control List (ICL), namely powdered buttermilk falling under heading No. 0403.90.11 in the list of tariff provisions set out in the Schedule to the Customs Tariff.
- Refer to the List of EIPA commodity codes for powdered buttermilk for specific product codes.
2. Allocation policy
- To be eligible to apply, you must be active in the Canadian powdered buttermilk industry at the time of application, and must remain active during the quota year.
- Note: You must, in addition, have been active in the powdered buttermilk industry during the reference period.
- Individual applicants and related persons applicants are eligible for only one allocation.
- Note: All applicants must provide a list of related persons.
- You must specify in your application the minimum quantity of quota you will accept. If your calculated allocation is less than 20,000 kg, you are issued an allocation only if the quantity you have specified in your application is equal to or lower than your calculated allocation.
3. Eligibility Criteria
You are eligible to apply for an allocation if you are a:
- that manufactures powdered buttermilk in your own provincially-licensed or federally-registered facility.
- that uses powdered buttermilk in your manufacturing operations and product formulations.
- that buys powdered buttermilk and re-sells it to other businesses.
- Note: Companies that procure or sell powdered buttermilk on behalf of others without taking ownership of or financial responsibility for the product are not eligible to apply for an allocation.
- Note: Retailers are not eligible to apply for an allocation. A retailer is an establishment that is primarily engaged in retailing food, and which buys powdered buttermilk and sells it directly to final consumers.
4. Calculation of allocations
- 80% is allocated to processors on a market share basis based on the kilograms of powdered buttermilk manufactured and subsequently sold by the processor during the reference period.
- 10% is allocated to further processors on a market share basis based on the kilograms of powdered buttermilk used in the manufacturing of food products and subsequently sold by the further processor during the reference period.
- 10% is allocated to distributors on an equal share basis.
5. Transfer, returns and under-utilization of allocations
- If you wish to transfer any portion of your allocation, you must submit a transfer request form.
- Note: If you transfer any portion of your allocation, you are not eligible to receive transfers from other allocation holders during the year. If you receive a transfer, you are not eligible to transfer any portion of your allocation.
- You may return any portion of your allocation to the Department in writing by the prescribed return date.
- Note: Returned quantities are normally made available seven days after the return date to eligible allocation holders, who have not returned any portion of their allocation, in proportion to their initial allocation, or on demand if quantities still remain after the first offer.
- If you use less than 95% of your allocation in one year, you may have your initial allocation adjusted downward by an under-utilization penalty in the following year.
- Note: Any portion of your allocation that you transfer or return in accordance with the present policy is considered to have been used.
6. Related links
- General Information on the Administration of Import Tariff Rate Quotas (TRQs) for Supply Managed Products
- Key dates and access quantities
- Information on related persons
- How to apply for an allocation
- How to apply for an import permit
- Allocation transfer request form
- Contact us
Report a problem on this page
- Date Modified: