WTO: Margarine TRQ – Serial No. 971
Date: October 1, 2020
This Notice replaces Notice to Importers No. 562 dated December 5, 1997, and sets out the policies and practices pertaining to the administration of Canada’s tariff rate quota (TRQ) for margarine under the World Trade Organization (WTO).
This Notice is provided pursuant to the authority of the Export and Import Permits Act (EIPA) and its corresponding regulations, and remains in effect until further notice.
Table of contents
Margarine means a product that is included in Item 140 on the Import Control List (ICL), namely margarine (excluding liquid margarine) and substitutes for butter, that are classified under tariff items 1517.10.10 and 1517.90.21 in the list of tariff provisions set out in the schedule to the Customs Tariff.
See the List of EIPA commodity codes for margarine.
First-come, first-served basis means shipment-specific import permits are issued on demand for each shipment, until the access quantity is fully utilized, or to the end of the TRQ year, whichever occurs first.
2. Allocation policy
- The TRQ for margarine is administered annually on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Import permits that will be issued to any one company and its related parties in any quota year will not exceed 500,000 kilograms.
- Permits for “Kosher for Passover” margarine will be issued by Global Affairs Canada for eligible products under the Passover Products Remission Order.
3. Related links
- General Information on the Administration of TRQs for Supply-Managed Products
- Key dates and access quantities
- How to apply for an import permit
- Contact us
Report a problem on this page
- Date Modified: