CPTPP: Industrial Cheese TRQ – Serial No. 996
Date: October 1, 2020
This Notice replaces Notice to Importers No. 954 dated October 1, 2019 and sets out the policies and practices pertaining to the administration of Canada’s tariff rate quota (TRQ) for industrial cheese under the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership (CPTPP).
This Notice is provided pursuant to the authority of the Export and Import Permits Act (EIPA) and its corresponding regulations, and remains in effect until further notice.
Industrial cheese means a product that is used as an ingredient for further processing (secondary manufacturing) imported in bulk (not for retail sale) and is included in Items 141 to 157 of the Import Control List (ICL), namely cheese falling under tariff item 04.06 in the list of tariff provisions set out in the Schedule to the Customs Tariff.
See the List of EIPA commodity codes for cheese.
2. Allocation policy
- To be eligible, you must be active in the Canadian cheese industry at the time of application, with specific reference to cheese for industrial use, and must remain active regularly during the quota year.
- Note: You must, in addition, have been active regularly in the cheese industry during the reference period.
- Individual applicants and related persons applicants are eligible for only one allocation.
- Note: All applicants must provide a list of related persons.
- Note: In the case of separate applications from related persons involving a parent company and one or more subsidiaries, only the application nominated by the parent company is considered.
- You must specify in your application the minimum quantity of quota you will accept. If your calculated market share allocation is less than 20,000 kg you are issued an allocation only if the quantity you have specified in your application is equal to or lower than your calculated market share allocation.
- The TRQ is allocated for the importation of goods in bulk (not for retail sale) to be used as ingredients for further food processing (secondary manufacturing).
- Note: Food service establishments (e.g. restaurants) are not considered further processors.
3. Eligibility criteria
You are eligible to apply for an allocation if you are a:
- that manufactures cheese for use as an ingredient in the production of further processed food products, other than cheese, in your own provincially-licensed or federally-registered facility.
- that uses cheese as an ingredient in the production of further processed food products, other than cheese, in your manufacturing operations and product formulation.
4. Calculation of allocations
- 80% is allocated to processors on a market share basis based on the kilograms of cheese manufactured for use as an ingredient in the production of further processed food products, other than cheese, and subsequently sold, by the processor during the reference period.
- 20% is allocated to further processors on a market share basis based on the kilograms of industrial cheese used by the further processor, in the manufacturing of further processed food products during the reference period.
5. Transfer, return and under-utilization of allocations
- If you wish to transfer any portion of your allocation, you must submit a transfer request form.
- Note: If you transfer any portion of your allocation, you are not eligible to receive transfers from other allocation holders during the year. If you receive a transfer, you are not eligible to transfer any portion of your allocation.
- You may return any portion of your allocation to the Department in writing by the prescribed return date.
- Note: Returned quantities will normally be made available seven days after the return date to eligible allocation holders, who have not returned any portion of their allocation, in proportion to their initial allocation, or on demand if quantities still remain after the first offer.
- If you use less than 95% of your allocation in one year, you may have your allocation adjusted downward by an under-utilization penalty in the following year.
- Note: Any portion of your allocation that you transfer or return in accordance with the present policy is considered to have been used.
6. Related links
- General Information on the Administration of TRQs for Supply-Managed Products
- Key dates and access quantities
- Information concerning related persons
- How to apply for an allocation
- How to apply for an import permit
- Allocation transfer request form
- Contact us
- Date Modified: