- 2013-09-30 - Canada Wraps Up Successful Week at United Nations
- 2013-09-30 - Canada Eases Sanctions Against Libya
- 2013-09-25 - PM demonstrates continued global leadership on improving maternal, newborn and child health in developing countries
- 2013-09-25 - Baird Co-Hosts Signature Event at UN on Early and Forced Marriage
- 2013-09-23 - Canada helps launch website for women’s economic empowerment
- 2013-09-23 - Canada Promotes Freedom, Dignity and Security Agenda at United Nations
- 2013-09-20 - PM announces visit to New York
Canada helps launch website for women’s economic empowerment
September 23, 2013 - Today the Honourable Lynne Yelich, Minister of State (Foreign Affairs and Consular), welcomed the launch of the global Knowledge Gateway for Women’s Economic Empowerment, a new online platform that will support women’s economic opportunities and leadership and further their contributions to local economies.
With support from the Government of Canada, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women (UN Women) developed www.empowerwomen.org, a knowledge gateway whereby women entrepreneurs and workers can connect, share best business and other practices, and access up-to-date information that is essential to women’s equal economic participation and improved livelihoods. The launch took place at a special event during the United Nations General Assembly.
“The global Knowledge Gateway will help women better prepare to participate in the economy as workers, entrepreneurs, and leaders so that they can take charge of their own economic futures,” said Minister Yelich. “This initiative demonstrates how innovation can enhance women’s economic empowerment.”
“It will give a push to women’s economic empowerment because this is essential to poverty eradication. I am so proud of our new online partnership platform to advance the economic empowerment of women. I encourage everyone to join us at www.empowerwomen.org, said Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka, Executive Director of UN Women.
For more information on Canada’s contribution to the Knowledge Gateway , please visit the website of the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development.
- 30 -
For more information, media should contact:
Margaux Stastny, Director of Communications
Office of the Minister of International Development
On September 23, 2013, Minister of State Lynne Yelich announced Canada’s support for efforts to enhance women’s equal participation in the economy.
The United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women (UN Women) – The global Knowledge Gateway for Women’s Economic Empowerment: $5 million
Canada, along with UN Women, hosted a conference on Women’s Economic Empowerment in 2011. It was during this conference that Canada made a commitment to collaborate with UN Women on the establishment of a global platform for women’s economic empowerment. As part of that commitment, Canada is providing $5 million.
The global Knowledge Gateway allows women entrepreneurs, policy makers and other users to:
- connect with women who are entrepreneurs and policy makers across the developing and developed worlds;
- share information, exchange lessons learned, and good practices;
- drive innovation;
- form partnerships and strengthen laws, policies, strategies, and programs; and
- access a virtual library of the latest publications and resources on women's economic empowerment.
- 2013-09-30 - Baird Addresses United Nations General Assembly
- 2013-09-28 - Parliamentary Secretary Deepak Obhrai Addresses Global Counterterrorism Forum
- 2013-09-27 - Parliamentary Secretary Deepak Obhrai Addresses Conference on Facilitating Entry into Force of Comprehensive Nuclear Test-Ban Treaty
- 2013-09-27 - Deepak Obhrai Addresses High-Level Meeting on Sahel
- 2013-09-27 - Minister Yelich Supports Women’s Human Rights
- 2013-09-27 - Minister of State Yelich Delivers Remarks on Role of Education in Countering Violent Extremism
- 2013-09-27 - Baird Highlights Role of Gulf Cooperation Council
- 2013-09-27 - Minister of State Yelich Delivers Remarks at Forum on Women’s Economic Empowerment for Peacebuilding
- 2013-09-26 - Baird Attends Commonwealth Foreign Affairs Ministers Meeting
- 2013-09-25 - Baird Attends Ad Hoc Liaison Committee Meeting
- 2013-09-25 - Baird Co-hosts Signature Event at UN on Early and Forced Marriage
- 2013-09-25 - Baird Meets with South Korean Foreign Minister
- 2013-09-30 - Address by Minister Baird to the 68th Session of the United Nations General Assembly
- 2013-09-27 - Address by Parliamentary Secretary Obhrai at the Global Counterterrorism Forum
- 2013-09-27 - Address by Parliamentary Secretary Obhrai to Conference on Facilitating Entry into Force of Comprehensive Nuclear Test-Ban Treaty
- 2013-09-27 - Address by Parliamentary Secretary Obhrai at High-Level Meeting on Sahel
- 2013-09-27 - Address by Parliamentary Secretary Obhrai to IGAD International Partners Forum Meeting on Somalia
- 2013-09-25 - Address by Katherine Verrier-Frechette on Behalf of Foreign Affairs Minister Baird to the Ad Hoc Liaison Committee
- 2013-09-25 - Address by Minister Baird on Child, Early and Forced Marriage
- 2013-09-25 - PM delivers remarks at a panel discussion on women's and children's health
- Date Modified: