Textiles & Clothing
Note: Click here for information on CETA origin quotas for textiles and clothing
Canada’s free trade agreements (FTA) with the United States, Mexico, Chile, Costa Rica and Honduras contain tariff preference level (TPL) provisions for certain textile and apparel goods being imported or exported within the respective free trade zones. TPL-eligible goods are goods that do not meet the requirements of the FTA Rules of Origin but can still receive the same preferential tariff treatment as originating goods, up to a negotiated quantity, as long as they meet certain conditions (such as being cut, sewn, and assembled in a Party from non-originating material). Trade of non-originating textiles and apparel commodities not covered by the above FTAs, or with countries other than those listed above, have no Canadian permit or certification requirements and are subject to Most Favoured Nation (MFN) duties.
TPL-eligible imports and exports are subject to controls under Canada’s Export and Import Permits Act (EIPA). All TPL-eligible imports require an import permit issued by the Canadian government. Only TPL-eligible exports to the United States and Mexico require a Certificate of Eligibility. TPL-eligible exports to Chile, Costa Rica and Honduras have no Canadian documentation requirements. Below you will find information related to TPL administration. In particular, the Notices to Importers and exporters; the Canadian Border Services Agency memorandum D11-4-22; and Sections E (textiles and apparel imports) and F (textiles and apparel exports) of the Handbook of Export and Import Commodity Codes provide details on FTA TPL coverage and the related administrative requirements.
Inquiries on TPL imports and exports can be directed to TPL-NPT@international.gc.ca.
- Notices to Importers and Exporters
- Messages to Industry
- Entry into force of sewing thread, narrow elastic and pocket fabric requirement for apparel goods – April 2022
- Entry into force of sewing thread, narrow elastic and pocket fabric requirement for apparel goods – February 2022
- New Cancellation Procedures for Agriculture, Steel and Textiles and Clothing Commodities – June 2010
- Textiles and Apparel: Elimination of Textiles and Clothing Permits Requirements Under the Export and Import Permits Act - April 2005
- FTA Tariff Preference Level Utilization
- Archived FTA Tariff Preference Level Utilization
- List of Tariff Preference Level Participants
- Handbook of Export and Import Commodity Codes:
- Additional Information
- Canada Border Services Agency Tariff Preference Levels Memorandum D11-4-22
- Applying for a permit or certificate issued under the Export and Import Permits Act
- Date Modified: