On this page
- Bilateral relations
- Trade relations
- Promoting peace, security and stabilization
- Partnerships and organizations
- Canada-Denmark fact sheet
Denmark is a close, like-minded partner for Canada across a range of priority issues, including security and defence, trade and investment, climate change, cooperation in the Arctic, development and human rights. Canada shares a 3,000 km maritime border with the Kingdom of Denmark (Greenland) as well as rich historic and cultural links between the Inuit populations on both sides of the border.
Canada is represented in Denmark at the Embassy of Canada to Denmark, in Copenhagen, and by an Honorary Consul in Nuuk, Greenland. In Canada, Denmark maintains an Embassy in Ottawa, a Consulate General in Toronto, and honorary consulates in Calgary, Edmonton, Halifax, Montreal, Saint John, St. John's, Vancouver, Iqaluit and Winnipeg.
Canada and Denmark are both open, sophisticated and competitive markets and enjoy a stable bilateral trade relationship. Our economies depend on innovation and knowledge-intensive sectors for growth, and are underpinned by the strengths of our small-to-medium sized companies. Both countries have particularly vibrant agri-food export sectors.
In 2020, Canada's exports to Denmark totalled $296.3 million. Canada's imports from Denmark in 2020 totalled $1.4 billion.
Promoting peace, security and stabilization
Denmark is a strong advocate for multilateral cooperation, including within NATO, which is a cornerstone of Denmark’s defence policy. The Danish Armed Forces are actively engaged around the world, including through the command of NATO Mission Iraq, the European naval operation AGENOR in the Strait of Hormuz, and the United Nations Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission in Mali.
Partnerships and organizations
To develop effective responses to today’s most pressing global challenges, Canada and Denmark work closely in multilateral fora, such as:
- The Arctic Council
- European Union
- International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO)
- International Criminal Court (ICC)
- Multilateral Organization Performance Assessment Network (MOPAN)
- North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO)
- Open Government Partnership (OGP)
- Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD)
- Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE)
- The Pacific Alliance
- United Nations (UN)
- United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO)
- World Trade Organization (WTO)
Report a problem on this page
- Date Modified: